IGNORED

F.A.R. Performance, Mountain View, CA

JohnnyO

I dug out my "How to Modify Datsun 510 610 240Z Engines and Chassis" book that I had the original F.A.R. decals in. You are lucky in that I had an odd number of them and will mail you one.:cheeky:

Thank you VERY much. I will store the sticker in my "How to Modify Datsun 510 610 240Z Engines and Chassis" book and it will feel right at home until I finish my restore.

Let me know if I owe you anything.

John

• 5 years later...

I worked at Far Performance around 1990-1992 or so. I was a parts runner, shop maintenance, customer courier driver, among other roles. It was owned by Larry Mudget at that time, with his wife Doris. They had 2 kids, I forget their names. It was a great time to work in a shop back then. It was a popular shop, usually booked a few days in advance. The mechanics I worked with were: Harold Koonz, Craig Quimby, Darryl Snyder, and many others I can't remember right at this time. Darren ran the parts department counter, he was crazy back then, got in trouble every once in a while. One evening he wrapped a Porsche around a pole on a test drive. Mary Kelly was the receptionist for most of the time. Fred Rosette was the service writer. While I was working there, the company changed hands to a guy named Terry. He ran it a couple years, and I left while he was running the place. There weren't as many Z's in the shop then, but we did get one or two a week on average. That shop is what started my love of Z's, and how I bought my 1981 280zx from Larry's auto Works across the street. Later I had a '87 300zx which i have a lot of repair videos on. I also had an '88 300zx which was a short lived bad experience. My name was Mark.

farperformance.jpg

FAR Performance was a great place. I went there a couple of times to buy performance parts. They also had a great want-ad board that you could find all sorts of rare (for the time) parts. I also attended a couple of the swap meets that they would have in their parking lot. This was all back in the late 70's and 80's. Walt Maas won the 1974 SCCA C-Production championship, and Revell issued a 1/25 scale version of his car, which you can still find on e-bay from time to time. The shop has been closed for quite a while. At least 10 plus years. They listed an new address accross the street, but when I checked it out there was nothing there.

• 1 year later...

I need to check but it seams to me that I have a hand full of the original FAR stickers. I was lucky enough to work at FAR during a great time, 1978-1981. Rob McFarland owned the company and the service manager was Frank Leary, this was a great time for racers. Rob was competing in the IMSA championships, Frank L had won the SCCA C production national championship, Jim Henzel had also won the SCCA C sedan national championship. I started to racing Formula Ford in 1979 and it was a great place to grow up with an unbelievable amount of knowledge.

Here's an article in Dime Quarterly, the former 510 newsletter, that gives a brief history of FAR's racing and business ventures. Original FAR owner Dolf vanKesteren provided many of the background details.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByCvxnHNk90SYmIyNmU4YzctNzA3Ny00MGI5LThiYjctMTdiOTEwZjIzNzI1/

Edited by NVZEE

• 5 years later...

My folks met while working at FAR back in the 70s and I was practically born in the pits racing with them.  My Dad, George, was a mechanic, manager, & driver and my Mom, Deb worked in accounting. They got married on a dare in Reno one night and were together every since.  Unfortunately, both my folks have passed, my dad just recently.  I've been going through their stuff and have found quite a bit of F.A.R paraphernalia.  If anyone would like it, please let me know.  I would rather it was with someone who appreciated it rather than sitting in storage.  I have decals, patches, stamps, key chains, slides, and a TON of pictures.  I've kept what means the most to me but there's plenty to share.  No cost - just trying to find a home for some of it.

• Like 2

Very cool story. Walt Maas was a hero of mine along with Morton and Sharp in the early 70’s. Those guys were responsible for more Datsun (Nissan sales) than anything else. I’m sure you’ve got some fun stories. Sorry about your folks....glad you experienced the beginnings personally!

Guy

• Like 1