IGNORED

F.A.R. Performance, Mountain View, CA

JohnnyO

Can anybody give me some insight on F.A.R Performance. I started googling this shop because the PO had religiously brought it there for service and rebuilding. Turns out they had a few team members that were known in the Datsun racing circuit that, from what I can tell, raced on the BRE team. Here is a link to a page I found. It talks about Kirk Allegro, (same last name as me!)a parts man and mechanic on Pete Brock's BRE Team since 1970, Dan Parkinson and many others.

http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/701FAR.htm

I tried the number (650/968-2911) for FAR in mountain view but I only got a non-english speaking lady after about 12 rings. I am just curious if they would have records of who worked on the car, what I might be missing in the history and such.

I have to tell you, when I first got the car running and took it for a spin it seemed to have a little more response than I had remembered from my first Z, although that may be because I am driving an F-150 for my daily driver right now.

If you can get me a working number or know if they just closed up shop or what I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

One of my favorite books, "how to modify Datsun 510 610 240Z engines & chassis" mentions F.A.R. Performance several times. There is an article titled "Bolt On Power For Z Cars" where Dolf van Kesteren of F.A.R. Performance explains how to wring an additional 40 HP from a stock Z. This is in Jan/73. Pretty cool connection to have associated with your car.

One of my favorite books, "how to modify Datsun 510 610 240Z engines & chassis" mentions F.A.R. Performance several times. There is an article titled "Bolt On Power For Z Cars" where Dolf van Kesteren of F.A.R. Performance explains how to wring an additional 40 HP from a stock Z. This is in Jan/73. Pretty cool connection to have associated with your car.

Geezer, i have that book, bot haven't seen that article, can you point me to it.

Chris

Geezer, i have that book, bot haven't seen that article, can you point me to it.

Chris

I have the first edition copy from 1973. Got it from a yard sale for a buck, smells like a musty old basement. :ermm:The article is on page 4, sorry for the crappy scan.

I have the first edition copy from 1973. Got it from a yard sale for a buck, smells like a musty old basement. :ermm:The article is on page 4, sorry for the crappy scan.

In the scan of the graph I see "FAR tune up kit installed" I wonder if I have that and dont even know it. I wonder what it consisted of?

I dealt with F.A.R. Performance back in the summer of 1973. I first met Dolf and his racing team at a SCCA race in Portland, OR. Walt Maas drove number 45 240Z for them (backcover of the above mentioned book). I arranged to take HLS30-30855 to F.A.R. to have them install a performance camshaft, recurve the distributer and install SM needles (the FAR Performance tune-up kit is the distributor work, SM needles, and solid-core spark plug wires). They did superb work. That was part of the first things I checked when HLS30-30855 returned to me this fall - check to see if those goodies were still there. The cam is a DeLong 298-09. You might pull the valve cover, take a mirror and hold a the rear of the cam to see if it is stock or maybe they installed a different one, as well the tuning. You can rest assured the work performed by F.A.R. was top notch. I even still have some of their decals.

Edited by Galaxybj

I dealt with F.A.R. Performance back in the summer of 1973. I first met Dolf and his racing team at a SCCA race in Portland, OR. Walt Maas drove number 45 240Z for them (backcover of the above mentioned book). I arranged to take HLS30-30855 to F.A.R. to have them install a performance camshaft, recurve the distributer and install SM needles (the FAR Performance tune-up kit is the distributor work, SM needles, and solid-core spark plug wires). They did superb work. That was part of the first things I checked when HLS30-30855 returned to me this fall - check to see if those goodies were still there. The cam is a DeLong 298-09. You might pull the valve cover, take a mirror and hold a the rear of the cam to see if it is stock or maybe they installed a different one, as well the tuning. You can rest assured the work performed by F.A.R. was top notch. I even still have some of their decals.

Galaxy,

Thanks for the info. I read about Walt Maas on the datsun.org site. Seems he was a pretty good driver.

How would I be able to tell if the distributor has been worked on? The current plug wires are shot (at least 20 years old) and I guess I would need to open the carb up or dig through invoices for part numbers to see if I have the SM needles. As far as the cam goes, I will have the Valve Cover off today and will see what the part number is. I have the engine out of the car right now as I am restoring it. The previous owner also put 6-2-1 headers on. I think I will blast and paint these but keep the old manifold handy if I ever decide to show the car.

You can rest assured the work performed by F.A.R. was top notch. I even still have some of their decals.

I kind of gathered that. The PO was a fanatic about this car. From all the invoices I have going back to the day he purchased it he only had the Datsun dealership (Dragonetti Motors) service it during the warranty period, after that it was all F.A.R. performance. They rebuilt the engine twice, bored it over on the second overhaul .030, always used oem parts where available and ALWAYS recommended on the invoice what was coming due for maintenance and what would improve performance.

As I shuffle through the 30 or 40 FAR invoices it seems the PO took their advice almost every time and had the recommended work done at first chance. (Good for me!)

I will post back about the cam and anything else I find as I do my homework.

Thanks again!

John

FAR was a great shop. I used to take my 510 and later my 240-Z to them. The 240-Z we bought my wife had been serviced there and they had it running like a watch. They used to let me in the shop when they were working on my cars and I saw first-hand what quality work they did. They used to sell aftermarket parts as well. It was a great place to hang out as they sponsored rallies, and Z-car shows as well. They were on old Middlefield Road in Mountain View, CA

That's the place. I must have 40 invoices from there dating from 1989 back to 1973. They weren't cheap either. The last rebuild invoice I found was from 1988 and it was for $2800.00 and did not include a new clutch. On the estimate it said "Engine is tired". I think we all have been there.

Well, thanks for the input.