IGNORED

Actually, Here Are Some Official Nissan 370Z Pics

Mike

10-29-2008 09:55 AM

nissan370z_01.jpg

Oh Nissan, why do you toy with us so? Less than 12 hours since we posted a bunch of spy shots and speculative renderings about the upcoming 370Z, Nissan decides to unleash photos of the real thing. Maybe we can just claim we were ahead of the curve?

Anyway, here it is, in all it’s naked, uncamouflaged glory. Check out those voluptuous fenders. Baby got back! Also, The 240Z C-pillars are an official go, although Jalopnik calls the design a BMW-copying “Hoffmeister Kink.” Grrrrrrr…

Pics of the rear and interior after the jump.

nissan370z_01-150x150.jpgnissan370z_02-150x150.jpgnissan370z_03-150x150.jpg

More...

That is so NOT a Hofmeister kink...The C-pillar is straight, with an upturning of the lower edge of the rear quarter window, similar to the S30. H's kink is the inverse where the C-pillar turns downward to meet a straight "shoulder" edge of the rear quarter window.

Still say it is easier on the eyes than the 350, not getting me the way the 240 did when I first saw it (and still gets me). However I am 37 years older - not much works me up anymore.

The true test is: can I take it for a test drive? If I can't sit in it - I can't drive it. Asides from not liking the look of the 350 - I simply couldn't fit in it.

Edited by Sailor Bob

PPsshhh... 370Z. I know its got a "Z" on it' date=' but with the new GT-R out there...why bother even looking at this. Ya, I said it.[/quote']

Totally different animal. The design impetus behind the GT-R is a turbocharged AWD, Porsche-killing super coupe. The Z has always been RWD hatch with six cylinders up front, all at an affordable pricepoint (although less so nowadays).

Different strokes for different folks.

I have long since dropped that 'ugly toad' point of view. It's a different car, in a different time and there really is no comparison. Plus, admit it, it will run circles around an S30.....24/7.
Yup, you're right on all counts, Stephen. You can't really compare modern cars to the old classics, in most cases, anyway. Not in looks, nor in performance. (Shoot, my 12 year old BMW sedan will kick my 240Z's rear, and do it in total comfort with the A/C running, and music from the CD changer blaring.)

That said, I also agree with Sailor Bob - there aren't many modern cars that get me excited anymore. Which is why I still drive my Z, despite the fact that the wife's car could run off and hide from me.

And Zak - the reason to look at 370Zs is that GT-Rs aren't any prettier, and cost a hell of a lot more. By the time most dealers are done raping a GT-R buyer, he/she could have bought three 370Zs. Sure, they're faster and all that, but where can you use more than a 370Z will provide?

I'm not crazy about the 350Z or the 370Z but I'm not going to hate on it just because it isn't an S30. I might even own one one day after the house is paid off in a couple of years. But I'll still keep my Z. It's kind of like my saxophones. My 2006 L.A. Sax is easier to play but my 1965 Selmer (Pre-CBS ownership) sounds so much better.

Looks good to me, guards are a bit too pumped out as seems to be the fashion but other than that I like it. Turbo?

As for comparing it with the R35, its not really comparable. GT-R is a high tech supercar, 370 is a Z, front engine rear wheel drive sports coupe. I'll take the latter thanks, leave all that driver assist stuff to those who can't drive, thats most Americans according to the rest of the world :D