IGNORED

1971 door seals

Diseazd

The seals MSA sells are made by Precision. The door seals that come in the full kit are the later one-piece type. I am not totally happy with them on my '71. While they mostly look OK, the black scuff plate doesn't fit over them well, and it bothers me if I look at it.

Eventually I'll try to get the correct style seal, I kept the original welting for mine.

You might want to look at the following link.

Weatherstrip Rubber Kits on Hybridz.org

I had two alternatives. I choose to pick up some seals from a car at the junkyard, they work great, they are easy to install, no glue, no need to slam the door to close them anymore and they cost 20€ where I am ;) (France)

You might want to give a try and find the good car...

I've posted another message on the same thread about a vendor in Europe selling the same kind of new seals. They are not made specificaly for the Z but they will work as good as the ones I bought.

I will be VERY surprized if you cannot find one in the states.

Edited by Lazeum

Speaking of door seals, does anyone know if these will fit on the earlier cars? (70-73 240Z)

http://www.courtesyparts.com/driver-side-door-weather-strip-1974-1977-260z-280z-seater-p-568956.html?cPath=7724_7754&

They look pricey, but if they work it might be worth the expense.

(The door and hatch seals, along with a new windshield and seal, are my next winter time project.)

• 1 year later...

Just tacking on to an old thread here, I just replaced my door seals with those from a junked Kia Sportage. Thanks to all who have provided info here I knew exactly what to look for and for $14.00 and some very easy labor my doors no longer rattle, and will presumably seal water out.

One thing I'll add is that I saw a car called a Kia Sephia at the junk yard. The weatherstriping had the same profile as the Sportage, but each piece had a pre formed 90* bend. If I had it to do over I'd get these only because they would perfectly coutour the the 90 on the driver's side door. Also, having a rubber mallet was very helpful for both collapsing the metal in the weatherstrip back down, and for installing the moulding.

Next, its on to the new noises that I am now able to hear.

tlorber:

Any chance of a picture of the 90° bend you got on yours? I am about to try installing a new set of Kia Sportage seals that I just got, hopefully this coming week. I plan on documenting the whole thing so that others can see what can be accomplished using these.

Thanks,

Eric

I will try to take a pic once I get my camera (its in my office). Its not much to look at though. Since I did NOT get the pre formed 90, I just tried to bend the metal in the approximate area of the door jamb's 90. I then used a piece of wood and the afformentioned mallet to drive the weatherstripping into the corner as tightly as possible.

By the way, does anyone know of a non-OEM application for the hatch weatherstrip?

I've heard that the Nissan 280Z (one piece seals) work great in the early cars........anyone tried those?
Guy, the later one-piece seals are what the ones that come in the Precision kit are trying to replicate. As I noted above, the crimp part is too big to fit nicely under the black scuff plate. I don't know if original Nissan seals for the later cars would have the same issue.

I don't either Arne.....I just remember when I bid on a nice Texas Z a couple years ago, he mentioned that he had used the 280Z one piece seal with good results. I was wondering if anyone had tried the Nissan 280 seals( he said he had bought them from Nissan)? Guy