IGNORED

L24 performance upgrades.

tabrinn

I've been following this with some interest and Julio, that engine looks great!

You are a couple of months ahead of me at least in your restoration. My 280Z is at the bodyshop now, but the engine has been done for a year now (3.1 stroker).

I hear a lot of HP numbers thrown around, but very rarely any dyno numbers, so it's nice to know Rebello put it on the dyno for you (I'm assuming that's what they did). I talked to Dave when I was planning my build, but the distance between us kept me from going with his shop (I'm in SC).

Thanks for the compliment. The engine / engine bay actually looks nicer in the pic than it does in real life. The Carbs need to be polished, the fuel rail needs paint, the various emmisions control finishes are oxidized, etc. Still, I'm happy with the result.

Yes, the engine was dyno'd by Rebello. I didn't get the full 240 HP because I specified a slightly lower comp. ratio and less aggresive cam to trade HP for a smoother running engine for street use.

I'm using the stock flywheel w/ new clutch, pressure plate & TO bearing. From what I've read, it's fine for 212 HP. The heavier stock flywheel will not rev as quickly, but will help keep a smoother idle for urban street driving.

I did replace the front diff mount, but the tranny mount and rear mounts looked good so I'll see how it goes. I prefer using rubber susp bushings over the poly part set I bought before I read how the poly parts result in more transmitted vibration and a harsher ride.

Before I tore her down, I did have a "clunk" in the drive train. Upon inspection, the front diff mount was broken. All my u-joints appear to be OK. If I need to replace them, I'll go with Spicer u-joints. I'm hoping it was the front diff mount, because if it's not, it may be the diff. I noticed what appeared to be significant backlash/play when I had it out of the car.

Don't put too much stock in that backlash 'feel'. I thought the same thing about my stock diff. So much I ordered another one. Well lo and behold that one had exactly the same feel as mine. I thought my clunk was from the diff, but it turned out it was from the tranny mount. So, it sounds like your doing diligence in your search, good luck.

• 1 month later...

Forgive the naive question - does Rebello have anything like an exchange program? Rather than pull my head and send it in for re-work, do they have some already made that they would send and credit your old head towards the purchase?

I ask this since they have "spec" products (e.g., "touring" head, etc.). For me, this is a preferable route as my car has minimal down-time.

If they don't have an exchange program, it'd be pretty simple to pick up a used E88 or whatever head to send them, while you continue to drive your car. Lot's of used heads on craigslist, at least there are here out West.

If they don't have an exchange program, it'd be pretty simple to pick up a used E88 or whatever head to send them, while you continue to drive your car. Lot's of used heads on craigslist, at least there are here out West.

Yes, good point...I guess I was trying to be cheap as possible, but that's certainly an option.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found a few - any idea of what a fair price would be? Looking for input as I've never acquired one of these used.

All seem about the same price, but curious anyway.

I would say, anything im between 50 - 100 bucks, just make sure you get a good head if you want to put money in to it, if i were you i would look after a early E88, also there is one on zcar.com selling some E31, you can look that up aswell.

Chris

sorry it is E88 heads, here is a mail adr. to the seller jlucas@kuhncom.net

Edited by ChrisZ
bad memory