IGNORED

Spook mounting

WW2Winger

Jim has a very rare bit of History there.

Spook is short for "Spoiler and Air Scoop". SCCA Class rules did not allow "aerodynamic devices" - so BRE added a "Ducted Air Scoop" for Brake Cooling... which was allowed. :-)

I believe the BRE Mark I Spook was revised to make it easier for mass production {lay-up and mold release } - thus the "new and improved" Mark II Spook. They also increased the width of the front lip a bit.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Watch out for curbs. Dinged mine slightly the 2nd day I had it. It was so perfect looking, too. Gonna get one of those Japanese band-aid decals for it, maybe.

This is what happens when a spook on a lowered car encounters water in a flooded intersection. Years ago, it was ripped from the car and I recovered it after the water was gone. The right side duct was lost and a significant shatter at that point, a complete break at the left side duct, and all mount points were damaged. I removed the left duct and used it to model a foam form for the right side replacement, then did extensive glass layup to repair everything. A successful Humpty Dumpty story. :love:

post-22303-14150820563967_thumb.jpg

post-22303-14150820564247_thumb.jpg

Mine took out a snow drift in a Kansas road the first winter after I installed it in about 1972. It's NOT an effective plow and was severely cracked along the mounting points. I was in the Air Force at the time and had it fixed by the guys who repaired radomes on C-130s. After repairing it, they painted it with radome paint which is still on it 40 years later. I think the statute of limitations has expired.

Dennis

In a slightly related note; I want to get rid of the front spoiler on my car and go to the spook but I am having trouble finding worthwhile front valence sheet metal. Has anyone reproduced these in fiberglass or carbon fiber or is there a source I don't know about?

This is what I am getting rid of. I want more of a vintage look.

post-16545-14150820645112_thumb.jpg

Les at CDM also has a fiberglass, one-piece stock replacement valance available. Had it been available when I bought my spook, I'd have bought one rather than drill holes in my stock valance.

Arne! You are so sexy I could kiss you right now! Good thing you're in Oregon! 8)

Arne! You are so sexy I could kiss you right now! Good thing you're in Oregon! 8)
I agree, good thing. Send your wife to deliver the kiss instead! Or better yet, buy me a beer sometime when you're up this way.