IGNORED

Spook mounting

WW2Winger

I have a BRE style Spook that I have not put on yet. Speaking of that Arne, I would love to see underside pictures of your spook and how you mounted it. I remember when you did it but never saw the results. Right now though, my front end is stock and I intend to install the spook after I see what the new wheels and tires present.

I split this out into a separate thread, since it wasn't tire related.

Here's what I did, others are welcome to chime in if they did something different.

I ended up with 9 stainless bolts across the front. Each bolt has a large fender washer both above and below, to distribute the stress. The first picture shows where I drilled the holes.

post-8596-14150804121478_thumb.jpg

post-8596-1415080412186_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150804122164_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150804122476_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150804122785_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150804123103_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arne

I'll add one detail, that I forgot the last time we posted on mounting the airdam.

I ran three beads of black seam sealer on the contact area before tightening the bolts, to keep the fiberglass from ever squeeking, and the valence from rusting because of vibration wearing through the paint/gelcoat to leave raw fiberglass and raw metal in contact(that had obviously happened on the POs installation(granted he used only five bolts for mounting), but in the interest of keeping the car for my sons to enjoy, an ounce of prevention hopefully will mean they don't have to mess with it.

Will

• 8 months later...

Here are the BRE Instructions.

You will notice that there are three places at the rear of the spook - that should line up with the existing captive nuts on the bottom of the radiator core support {aka Front Cross Member}.

Arne's doesn't seem to reach back there. The Spooks that I bought from Les are exactly the same as the original .. and mount to the underside of the radiator core support..

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150806861465_thumb.jpg

post-3609-1415080686196_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stephan,

My Spook is a 1st-gen BRE model, used only in the 1970 SCCA competition. The design was revised to your model beginning with the 1971 season. If you have any doubts on the authenticity of my Spook, check out the vintage photos for sale on the BRE site. The John Morton car for 1970 has my model on it. I suspect the 1st-gen version did not generate adequate downforce and was more of an air dam, thus the revised version.

Jim