IGNORED

Kanji found when removing a dash

Zulaytr

From the 10/70 build date dash that was in car Vin # HLS30-12142 that I purchased with the help our member Gary  @beandip 10 years or more ago.

20190303_115616.jpg20190303_121607.jpg

This un-cracked dash will go into my restoration of a 7/70 build date 240Z-----Vin # HLS30-07032.

I affectionately refer to her as "BUTTERCUP" since she is painted in her original buttery 919 yellow .

Wouldn't it be cool if the translation is "Buttercup" or "Yellow Lady"?? The kanji looks like a "B" with cow horns. LOL

1 hour ago, Zup said:

Wouldn't it be cool if the translation is "Buttercup" or "Yellow Lady"?? The kanji looks like a "B" with cow horns. LOL

You're in luck. That's not a Kanji character. It is indeed a - very nice - capital letter 'B'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
31 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

My neighbors project 240    HLS30 19270

19270 Dash.jpg

That's an unusually esoteric example, and done with a very wide marker. A bit of a calligrapher, this guy.

It's a Kanji 'Uwasa' ('rumour'/'gossip'), but could also be read as 'Son' [pronunciation: as in 'Sondheim'] ('loss').

Seems likely to be another example of workplace shenanigans and/or 'banter' between workmates. Other examples have shown true relevance to the product/variant/destination (as in the 'Igirisu' and 'ENG' etc versions) but when dozens of same product/variant/destination examples were going down the line like a sausage machine I guess there might have been space and opportunity to break the boredom with some coded messages between workstations. Been there, done that...

For reference, Kanji 'Uwasa':

Uwasa-1.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

I might as well chime in with my dash discovery

100_1486.JPG

It's inverted, but it is the Kanji 'Ji' (pronounced as in 'Jeep') which translates as 'letter' or 'character' as in 'Kanji' or 'Romaji'. 

@MikeB previously suggested some of these could be part of 'Burma Shave' type messages, and this example is a prime candidate for being part of a message made up from several dashes. On its own it makes little sense (to us, at least...). 

• Like 1