IGNORED

Bob Sharp Racing 1972 Datsun 610 B Sedan Trans Am Race Car

Mike B

Ron,

I believe the car in the ad is the same car featured in Vintage Motorsport's May/June issue.

If it is, then this was the 1st BSR 610 sedan prepared for racing, and was used to re-produce body parts for the actual "winning" 610's to follow.

The car was held in reserve by BSR, lest the actual war horse was hobbled. It would be by no means a "show car", just an un-raced back-up racer.

It seems that it finally has become a racer on the vintage circuit with slight changes in tires, safety equipment, and such.

O.T. Have been lingering here, but aven't posted for years. Howdy all!

Panchovisa

Panchovisa, good to hear from you! it has been a long time.

I read the article today (this afternoon) as a matter of fact and this is the backup car you are correct. It was the mule that the original car was built from and now is a vintage racer. It has no racing history however...So it is not an $80k car. As I said before it is a good deal if you like the car. I think that I have seen it for sale other than on ebay for some time now for around $35k.

R

PS Pancho, if you look at recent photos of my roadster you will find the vintage seat you sent to me a few years back installed on the passenger side of my Roadster. It is a perfect (although heavy) period correct piece for my roadster and was required by HMSA to run in the Production class. Thanks Again!

• 2 weeks later...

First Post here, I couldn't help giving some info about the car. I am friends of the owner of the actual car raced. This car was the back up in case the first one was wrecked. It never was. The new owner is currently racing the #55 Hollywood Sunbeam Tiger at Monterey Historics next month. The 610 is being restored to 1972 condition like the Hollywood Tiger was. If he is going to spend as much money on the 610 to restore it back to orginal 1972 condition, like he did on the Hollywood Tiger, I can't wait to see it finished. I'm glad I get to see it restored like the Hollywood Tiger. If you don't know the Hollywood Tiger, just google it.

Strnge, could you elaborate on your statement above. Your friend has the original BSR 610 or did he buy the backup car that was just up for sale? It sounds like the original is going to get restored, what condition is it in now? Do you have any photos by chance.

Thanks,

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

My friend is the one that picked up the BSR 610. It is a really nice period car. Came with a bunch of spares, and looks hot. The paint has checked but it looks to have been clear coated and is really nicely preserving the old original paint. He has a few other Datusun's including a BRE 510 replica, a 2000 lightweight roadseter, one of the Paul Newman Z's and somewhere back in someones garage a 'Z' that I'll be talking him out of.

What was funny and how this all caught my eye is that I own a Sunbeam Tiger and he sent me a picture of the 610 in front of a tiger, then the comments above about the Hollywood Tiger which is really nice has dropped me here. Good site, now to get my hands on it...

The story that my friend said was that this was the back up/spares car. It looks like it might have had some track time, but hard to say. It did arrive with street tires on it but don't know much more then that.

I came across this MotorTrend article about Adam Carolla and his cars.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0808_adam_carolla_celebrity_drive/index.html

"Carolla's 13-car collection is housed in a warehouse, which includes a heavy dose of his affinity for classic Italian sports cars. There are three he saw on eBay -- a 1973 Datsun 510, a 1965 Lamborghini 350 GT (of 120 built), and his latest purchase, a Bob Sharp 1972 Datsun 610 No. 33. The others are a 1972 Porsche; a blue 1967 Lamborghini 400 GT 2+2 (of 247 built); a red 1967 Lamborghini 400 GT 2+2; a 1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4; a 1999 Jaguar XJR; a 1989 BMW M3; a 2001 BMW M3; a 2004 Ferrari Stradale, which he wants to sell; a 2004 Aston Martin DB9; a 1984 Nissan 300ZX, which was Paul Newman's old race car."

Attached is a picture of the BSR 610 in Carolla's warehouse from the article.

When I bought my early 240z (HLS30-00032) a couple of months ago, the seller told me that someone from LA had a person to fly up to Spokane to inspect the car. Apparently the person that wanted to buy it was a well known TV or film personality. I wonder if it was Carolla...

-Mike

post-9102-14150804020148_thumb.jpg

Adam, purchased my friends SR-20 powered 510, and through an agent purchased the #27 Datsun Roadster, and 1984 BSR #33 Paul Newman Z car. Recently he purchased the #33 BSR 610 and who knows what is next...

I hope Adam is able to take the time to get out and enjoy these cars with his busy schedule.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, Mike, Carl, Ron, and the rest; Rick here.

I've been off the site for awhile now and just happened to stumble across

this thread which, since I was with Bob Sharp in the 70's, peaked my in-

terest when I saw a car I thought I recognized.

I believe that the 610 hardtop was actually a '73 although it might have had

a late '72 production date. The PL510 2-door was actually campaigned in

B/S until the 610 was introduced, but the 610 was then selected for B/S due

to its superior aerodynamics and suspension, and the L-18 engine. The

PL510 was last produced in 1973 (the 2-door only), but I don't remember if

we had any '73 510 race cars, I don't think so.

I do remember one of the 610's being cordoned off on the showroom floor

as a somewhat permanent promotional display, and as suggested above, it

might well have been the very car under discussion.

All Z Best,...............................Kathy & Rick

P.S. Sandy, can you check out that production date? I'm pretty

confident about what I said, but I'm having second thoughts....

Edited by Kathy & Rick