IGNORED

Bob Sharp Racing 1972 Datsun 610 B Sedan Trans Am Race Car

Mike B

Has anyone else seen this BSR 610 race car currently on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190231875229&rd=1

One bid at the initial starting price of $30,000 but the reserve is not met. Perhaps Carl or someone else can comment about what its value would be.

-Mike

Hi Mike:

I wouldn't have a clue as to its current market value. Something like this is so unusual....

The following for the Datsun 610's was about 10% of what it had been for the 510's. Nissan USA ended their sponsorship of factory backed teams by 1974, so the 610's never got the publicity that the earlier 510's did. The Trans/Am series was huge - but the B Sedan races were far less covered by the automotive press...

I drove a 75 Datsun 610 for about four months as a Dealer Demo - I grew to like it a lot. It never had the "personality" of the 510, but it had a lot to like about it.

The BSR 610 for sale seem to have good documentation and a well known history. You most likely could not duplicate it for less than $75K+ today. It just may not reach the right buyer on e-bay. The owner needs to take it to the Monterey Historic and put it in an auction there... He would most likely find a group of potential buyers that would appreciate the car.

If it was an original BSR 510 - it would be easily over $100K.... a 610... I just don't know. I should think that anything under $60K would be a bargain in todays dollars... just for the fun of owning it.

FWIW,

Carl B.

This is an interesting car, but it has no racing history.

See the description below from the Ebay add:

"Perhaps the most amazing part of this car is the original pearl white, candy apple red and blue paint job. Because this car was never used in competition and spent much of its time in dealer showrooms, the original paint still looks fantastic! This is probably the only Bob Sharp race car still in its original paint. Up close it has the patina of a 36 year old lacquer paint job, but thanks to an extensive preservation procedure it looks brand new from a few feet away and it is protected from UV rays so you can drive it without worrying about the sun!"

So this is a Bob Sharp show car, that looks like a race car.

Could you race it in vintage today, absolutely! is it a good value. Absolutely, if you like the car.

What do you suppose this line in the ad. means? Another 610 that was raced, or a parade lap -?????

"Some people have even come back the next day with old photo's, one person gave me a copy of the 1975 runoffs video, featuring the 610 on pole with Bob Sharp driving."

Carl B.

So this car was for display purposes only at Bob's dealership, it has been built up into a copy of an original BSR racer with all the correct parts. This is a "replica" of a BSR 610 racer, so the original racing BSR 610 is running around some place.

This is a time machine and a cool car, but it is not historically significant.

Even still, it is a good value, especially compared with what you can invest in order to get a 510 on the track.