IGNORED

Stock Replacement Springs

Thanks guys for your imput. Only about 1/2 inch is needed. Carl I heard you may be coming up to Gainesville next weekend for Bill Coffey's garage Z party, if so it will be great to meet you, I'll be there with my orange 72.

• 12 years later...

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I posted, but have done much work on my 73.  In 2013 I bought a set of the reproduction springs from Carl Beck, who advised at the time that I cut the springs because my KYB shocks might cause the car's ride height to be too high.  I just opened the package of springs and noted  that the springs have no "flat area" on the top and bottom of the spring to seat square.  Is this correct? I want stock ride height, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter

Pictures would be neat.  Are the ends bare metal or painted?  Who made them?  I think that factory springs are all flattened to fit the seats.  My 280Z springs were.

Use the @ to notify Carl Beck.  He still visits.  You'll probably want to post some details, like part numbers and stuff.

@Carl Beck

FWIW - here are pictures of a reproduction Euro Stage 1 spring (IZCC group buy in 2006 via Courtesy Nissan and @Carl Beck) and a Motorsport Auto 1" Lowering Spring (with masking tape labels) from the 1980s.  The ES1 spring is fully painted with the correct color dabs for front/rear identification, and they have flattened ends.  The MSA springs without flattened ends worked fine for years in one of my 240s, so I'm not sure the flattened end is required to sit correctly in the spring seats.  Multiple sources say that ES1 springs will need to be cut with today's KYB gas inserts to get the correct ride height, at which point they won't be flattened on the cut end.  I'm waiting to see the fully-installed stance of the car before cutting, as it's hard to put metal back on the coils after the fact.

EuroSpec1Repro.jpg

MSA_lowering.jpg