IGNORED

Stock Replacement Springs

I'm planning on rebuilding the rear of of the 73 this Winter. I'm trying to find replacement springs and struts for the rear to address some "sagging" in the rear end. It seems like the ones I can find from MSA, Courtesy and Black Dragon all lower the car about an inch. I don't want to drop the ride height at all.

My question is, where can I find new, stock size springs?

Good question. You might just want to purchase a buch of used springs and then pick a set that is as close to the stock specs as possible. I bet you can buy stock springs from members on this board, HybridZ, ZBarn, etc. for aobut $5 each.

New factory springs have been unavailable for quite some time. Courtesy Nissan -- with assistance from Carl Beck and others -- did have a batch of reproduction stock replacement springs made up, as well as reproductions of the European Stage 1 springs. I believe that they have sold out of the stock replacements, however. Possibly sold out of the ES1 springs by mow, too.

I seem to recall that Arizona Z Car's 240Z springs are designed to not lower a 240Z, but they are considerably higher spring rate, and so the ride will be significantly firmer.

I have the Courtesy ES1 springs in mine with KYB gas struts. The springs are cut down to give the stock ride height. Works quite well, I think. My factory stock springs are in great shape, but are not for sale.

I think, if I buy used springs, I may end up in the same boat (i.e. sagging rear end). I'm running slightly wider tires than stock, and on hard cornering or over hard bumps, I think they've rubbed against the inner fender wells a few times. So I don't mind the idea of a stiffer spring, lets face it, these cars aren't made for a Lincoln-style ride anyway. I'll look into the Arizona springs you mentioned.

MSA is all sold out of the stock replacement springs.

I was part of that group buy Arne is referring to. I have a set of the Euro Spec reproduction springs on EBay right now. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200229198281&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=010

It was a while ago and they have been sitting in my closet. I have decided to go with lowering springs, so they are up for sale. I searched and couldn't for the life of me find the original thread on that group buy. Can anyone else locate that thread?

thanks guys...

What about using the 280z insulators(shaving as necessary) with aftermatket 240z springs? Eibach ride with original ride height!

Will

Yes, that might work well. But I'm very pleased with my cut-down Euro springs. Nice ride, stock height (even with the gas struts). Cutting the Euros down seems simpler to me than fine-tuning the 280Z insulators.

I have cut down springs before too-it works well!

The rubber in the insulators isn't profgressive rate, measure the insulator from a 240Z and cut the 280z version to 1 inch longer-done!

The measurements are probably in the archives here...

WIll

Don't mean to change the thread a little but since it's the same topic I have some questions that the members can help me with since I really don't know much about suspensions. My youngest son decided to put wider rims and tire's on the rear of his 73 and it rubs when it goes over bumps. He tried spring shims and that didn't stop the rubbing. whats the best fix to change the ride height, different springs or adjustable struts. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks Bill

Adjustable struts (such as Tokico Illuminas) won't change the ride height at all. But you could firm up the damping so that it doesn't bounce down as quickly. That would - of course - cause a significant increase in ride harshness.

..... it rubs when it goes over bumps. He tried spring shims and that didn't stop the rubbing. whats the best fix to change the ride height, different springs or adjustable struts. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks Bill

With OEM Strut type suspensions - it is the installed height of the springs that determines the ride height of the car. You can install shorter springs and lower the ride height, but because the shock absorber rod is only so long - installing springs with a longer Free Length, will not result in a higher installed height.

If you build your own "coil-over" struts with adjustable ride height - you can extend the length of the struts, and fit appropriate length shocks... yes, you can rise the right height. However you have to ask yourself if you want a Sports car sitting up that high to begin with.

If the rear tires are just catching the rear fender lip - you can roll the fender lip under. Guys that have done a bit of metal work, body work - usually take a baseball bat and insert it between the tire and fender lip. Then roll the tire forward/backward with the baseball bat in place to roll the fender lip up inside the fender... You have to put a few small cuts in the arches of the fender lips using a hacksaw....

Short of that - as mentioned earlier - get wheels with the right off-set (backspace) and put the right oversize tires on them.

FWIW,

Carl B.