IGNORED

LED Front Marker lights, I need some opinions.

Zs-ondabrain

I should probably let Dave address this, but I'll give it a try anyway. The problem with LED bulbs is that - unlike normal incandescent bulbs, the light output is highly directional. Using an LED bulb in a housing that was designed for normal bulbs generally gives a small, intense spot of light, it does not light the entire unit. There are a few LED bulbs that are better, they have additional LEDs pointed to the sides and/or rear. But even these typically don't do the job well.

That's why Dave does rows of LEDs throughout the entire light housing.

Arne,

Thanks for the reply and you are absolutely correct, (as usual...)

I'm familiar with the types of bulbs you describe from previous use in marine lighting conversions. As you indicated, the uni-directional lamps would be a poor choice in this application.

I was thinking of the multi-directional lamps in the front signal/parking lamps. There are also bulbs w/ LED's encased in a molded lens supposed to help disperse the light, but I have no experience with these.

I figured Dave has probably tried them all and could "shed-some-light", (bad pun), on my question...

One other thing. You mentioned in a differnt post that you have done tail light conversions. Can you post pics of one of these? For me, that upgrade provides more value and is probably worth the expense.

Just my (cheap) two cents.

Julio, if you go here and look at post 41 by Dave, he has pics of them. These are still the same ones (I believe) he has today.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20862&highlight=led+tail&page=2

Justin

I dropped the price to $150. I cannot find a pair ANY where that comes close to how clean these are. Arne was right. The single row is for the parking light, and all 3 rows light up for the turn signal.

I was really tired last night when I wrote up the AD so we'll chalk the rediculous price up to lack of sleep and too much work. I was just so happy with the finished product that I went overboard.

The only problem with a "Do it Yourself" kit would be the "Mounting of the plates. I Use a soldering iron to melt a very small lip just over the plate, so that it'll not lift up, then I hot glue it in place. The iron provides a rougher surface for the glue to "hold" to. I'm sure I could come up with a metal mount that uses the OEM screw plates to hold the LED plates in place. I'll look into it.

The other problem with a first timer rebuilding a set of lights is.... The screws almost always rust and strip the heads before they get the screw out. The rusted screws also break inside the lense and they're NOT coming out after that. The plastic also likes to break off the lense in the removal and replacement of screw. Then you need to find new screws if everything goes OK.

Personally, I'd rather keep them and use them in the 260Z I just bought rather than sell them for the $150 asking price. I say this because trying to find another set, in this good of shape, with no cracks or broken screw issues, and then have to build another set of LED plates, will take more time and money than I can afford at this time. I need the money to get this 260Z on the road, as she needs alot of help.

If I were to build these LED plates as one of "Dave's Upgrades" I don't think I could sell a set for any less than $90 a pair.

So does that sound better or am I still spitting in the wind? That's what this thread is about, So I don't take anything personal and evrything is fair game. If you guys say $150 is too high, Then I'll either make another adjustment or jsut install them on the 260Z. I'm not hurt either way.

Thanks for your opinions guys, That's why I keep coming back everyday.

And the pictures in the AD will not show how brite they truly are, It's a digital camera thing I guess.

Dave.

And here's the pictures you requested Julio.

post-4921-14150803441997_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150803442406_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150803442868_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150803443265_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150803443693_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150803444246_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150803444451_thumb.jpg

Julio,

I've seen Dave's LED taillights in person, at night, and I can attest to their badass look. They're super bright and clean looking.

Dave,

Those markers are pretty cool, once again you've outdone yourself. Custom ABS enclosure and 1-3 row settings. I'd buy a pair for $150 if I had the spare cash. As it stands, I'm a broke student, and my 70's got a cooling issue that's sapping my money.

Glad to see you're still coming up with cool $^!# tho.