IGNORED

Nissan Repro Program Car on Ebay

nwcubsman

Jerry,

You're right. It came from Mena, Arkansas and I can personally vouch that you can't get there from anywhere! Danny is a great guy. Price was more than you posted, but I'm not telling! :laugh:

Bob

P.S. I'm back to my good old BRG!

Hopefully the reserve is fairly high. Right now the Euro is .650:1USD or less. The right European buyer could snatch this up for less than 20K Euro at reserve of $30K. If this goes through to sale, watch for it to be leaving the country. This was indeed a very special program. I was at the debut and auction of one of the first cars.

In 2001 I lived in San Antonio and there was a red VZ that came up for auction at a Kruse auction in the area (not Bob's I don't think). I had been away from Z's for a few years and was interested in possibly getting a deal on that one. I didn't realize only 38 VZ cars had been made at the time. Something came up and I couldn't go make it to the auction. It wound up selling for $12,750.

http://www.kruse.com/results/detail.asp?CONSIGN=434&MAKE=DATSUN&AUC_CODE=NEWBRAS01&AUC_BREAD=San%20Antonio%2C%20TX%202001&SEARCH_NAME=DATSUN&YEAR=2001&RESULTS=1&PAGE=1

The buyer listed it on ebay within a week after he bought it. I'm not sure what it sold it for, but I think he made a pretty good return for owning it a week or two. Here is the only picture from the Kruse auction results page, in case that ever goes away.

-Mike

post-9102-14150803238257_thumb.jpg

I'm one of the 40-some-odd watching the auction. Best of Luck, Bob!

$29,000 in 1997 money is $37,000 today. The prices we have been seeing for Vintage Zs is not low at all. In fact it indicates that the cars are depreciating in value.

I would like to ask a favor from all of you. When you see a Vintage Z like the one Mike posted above, get the serial number please. And send me the info. Many thanks. If any of you have pictures of Vintage Zs, and know the serial number of the pictured car, let me know.

Chris

I'm one of the 40-some-odd watching the auction. Best of Luck, Bob!

$29,000 in 1997 money is $37,000 today. The prices we have been seeing for Vintage Zs is not low at all. In fact it indicates that the cars are depreciating in value.

Chris

Chris,

Did you mean to say "appreciating"?

Dan

While we sit around and watch the action perhaps we would like to talk about the restoration program. It was mentioned that parts were reproduced especially for the program. Here is the cover of a brochure that listed specific parts manufactured. Part design and specifications were released to private manufacturers to supply the program. Support businesses were also used. Carl mentioned the engines and transmissions.

"A wide assortment of particularly detailed replica parts were provided by Banzai Motorworks in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Although Mike McGinnis of Banzai Motorworks did not restore any cars, he provided detailed replica parts including new identification plates to replace damaged originals. In addition to a wide assortment of rubber parts, Mike provided instructional and identification decals that were on the original production cars. As the program progressed, Steve Richardson of Courtesy Nissan in Richardson, Texas became involved and distributed updated air-conditioning kits for the cars. AER Manufacturing in Arlington, Texas, widely know for their capabilities and reputation with Ford products, became involved with engine remanufacturing. Automatic transmissions were remanufactured by Williams Technology of Summerville, South Carolina. A cast of thousands would appropriately describe the number businesses that became involved as the program expanded. Over eighteen different paint and body establishments repaired body shells."

post-4148-1415080324033_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150803240903_thumb.jpg

Dan,

To keep pace with an original investment of $29,000 on a Vintage Z in 1997, the car would have to sell for over $37,000 today. That was what I was trying to point out. Of course, Carl points out (to my chagrin) that it would cost well over $40,000 to restore a car to that level today. Either way, I think the cars are a great value.

Yes, dissing the Vintage Program and the resulting cars seems to be a fairly common thing among some 240Z enthusiasts, apparently because of the above mentioned 'resto-mod' approach that was taken. People tend to compare them to true 'restorations' when - in my mind - they should be thought of as a very special limited edition car.

Face it folks, regardless of how 'original' you consider these cars to be, the investment and effort expended for a mere 38 (or so) cars may never be seen again. That alone makes these cars something special.

Only a very historically significant model will get treatment like this. It will probably never happen again. About the only other manufacturer-backed projects that that even approach this in concept would be the British Motor Heritage replacement MG bodyshells. And even that is nowhere near the same, as all they did was provide the shells. The rest is/was up to the restorers.

Dan,

To keep pace with an original investment of $29,000 on a Vintage Z in 1997, the car would have to sell for over $37,000 today. That was what I was trying to point out. Of course, Carl points out (to my chagrin) that it would cost well over $40,000 to restore a car to that level today. Either way, I think the cars are a great value.

I was likewise thinking you meant to say "appreciating". I guess it all depends on how you formulate your calculations. Not my strong point, but it would be understandable to me that each of these cars would suffer varying degrees of a depreciation factor since their restorations, simply because of the time that has passed since the "program" and the amount of use each has endured. The unique/rarity aspect of being 1 of 38, complete with the "specially supplied program parts" is what I believe will always be an appreciating factor. Bottom line, they are like any other car and only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Would you agree now is the time to buy if you were in the market? I think so.