IGNORED

Mpg....

i have an appointment with a mechanic to add a new system that adds hydrogen to the engine and he guarantees at least a 25% increase in fuel mileage and up to 30% more horsepower.

Ehhhh...you might want to do some research on that. As I recall, Popular Mechanics tested the 'Aquatune' and found that it didn't work.

David, were you able to get a quote on having your tank boiled out?

Ehhhh...you might want to do some research on that. As I recall, Popular Mechanics tested the 'Aquatune' and found that it didn't work.

David, were you able to get a quote on having your tank boiled out?

and then you read this where a test was done by a Las Vegas TV station and they claim it worked great, but couldn't get Popular Mechanics to even look at their results.

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=4129768

if i could have it installed and see actual results before paying for it, i would do it in a heart beat. but $1350 total price quoted, with new plugs and oxygen sensor, has me afraid to risk the cash, after reading some of the web sites that came up on the google search. thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

This car has been in storage for the last 7 years til I bought it and put it in the shop to get it worked on.

Cleand out Fuel Injectors, replaced spark plugs and wires. Fixed corroded Temp sensor.

Was told not to worry about ECU and to watch for the next couple of weeks to see how this does. Mechanic said something about Air Flow Control if it does not improved.

Does that make any sense. Other suggestions?

Another vote for around 20mpg. And the one time I tried 87 my car almost had a coronary! The exhaust pipe started banging against the fender well like a hammer from the knocking. I'm lucky I didn't destroy the car. So I immediately pulled over, added a can of octane boost and filled the tank up with 93 right away. I tried this on a 1/4 tank so I could add more 93 if necessary. Why should a car with 9.0 compression need 93 octane?

I finally did my desired day trip this past week. I relocated to New York from Minnesota and drove through the hills of the Pocono's and Catskill regions on just a beautiful day. I traveled 280.4 miles (my tires are 1.0086 oversized so my odometer actually measured 278miles) on all Highway and used 9.76 gals so my 240z averaged 28.7 MPG. I traveled between 60 - 75 mph (2000-2500rpm) in 5th gear using 91 Octane with 10% methanol. I was pretty pleased and enjoyed trip especially since the 240z ran very nice.

Specs: 65mph @ 2300 rpm (90 mph @ 3000 rpm) in 5th gear.

Mallory Unilite Breakerless Distributor

Mallory Promaster Coil

MSD 6A (pn 6200) - Ignition

Timing 16 BTDC @ 900 rpm (42 BTDC @ 3000 rpm)

NGK plugs - .060 gap.

Holley 4BL 390 cfm carb

Stock L24 Head and Block

Compression ~188-192 psi

Tires: BFG g-Force Sport 205/60/15 (about 1% oversized vs Stock)

Inflation: 26psi

Like I said before. L24 with Triple 40DCOE Webers, Mallory unilite, MSD 6A and stage 2 cam with headers gets 26 MPG freeway. Also has a 79' 5-speed and 3:90 diff

Dave.

Hey Dave, My 79 ZX with 5 speed has a 3.90 dif as well. But I notice you say you were turning 2800RPM and averaging "about 80MPH". At 2800 in 5th my car is probably going about 60MPH. Whats with that?

I think moritz55 meant "ethanol" instead of "methanol". Unless his Z is a top-fuel dragster. :D

BTW, I also did a great cruise of the Catskill Area a month ago. 500 miles over 2 days. Have you ever been to the Pepacton Reservoir and Route 30? Just magnificent! I posted several videos on my CarDomain page.

Hi guys, sorry for the error. Yes - I meant "ethanol" ..

To Deadflo's question there were several 5spd 280zx transmissions. This page has the different types. Mine is the FS5W71B version: http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/69-83TrannyShifterDrawing.jpg

Also go to this web-site : http://www.zhome.com/ and then go down to the: "Index of technical Articles" and click on it. Then go to on the right side of the website: DRIVE TRAIN "Trans/rear end over-all ratios chart" and click on it. You'll see a table to understand your transmission ratio and Rear End. You must have a different 5spd than I do however we have the same RearEnd.

Hope this helps... Mark.