IGNORED

Is my battery going bad? or my alternator? what the hell is going on!!!

ZcarsRock

here is my latest issue,

I ask the wife to go for a ride to Abeline KS in my 1972 240z. She was nice enough to cough up 20 bucks for my latest junk yard forray. ( I got a drivers seat back from a 280z and a console compartment cover and some vent ducts) Anyways we are having a nice drive but as i slow down, the radio dies out, then the headlights dim.....i pull in to the kwikmart and then the car dies....and wont re-start!!! I turn the ignition and i hear a click only. i pound on the starter and it only clicks...finally i get a jump from a nice fellow and the car starts right up the first try...so i drive straight home. Once at home i shut off the car and attempt a restart immediately, but only get a click, and the starter only turns for about a half second, then only clicks...Please help me!!!

zcarsrock!

Tony

I hate to be the one to have to tell you, but all signs point to a bad alternator. More than likely things all started to stop working over a progressive time. Then the car just wont start since the battery wont charge anymore. Make sure you battery is still good, cause once you replace the alternator you may need to charge the battery, or buy another.

You are probably right... But an easy way to check is to use a voltmeter. connect it to your battery while the car is running. If you get 13.5 to 14.7 volts with the motor running the alternator is OK. I had a bettery go bad within 30 days once, A good one too. So don't rule the battery out even if it's new. Also don't forget to check the belt tension. It should be tight enough to not slip without being too tight. I found out the hard way that over tightened belt makes your water pump fail in no time flat.

Good luck.

If you replace the alternator, make sure to charge the battery with a batter charger, NOT the alternator as this may (most likely) burn out -- or cause damage to -- the alternator. They are made to keep the battery charged up, not charge a dead or severely weak battery.

If you have a NAPA in town just get down to the store and ask them to place a tester on the system. I would expect that other autopart stores would do the same. Just remember the polite thing to do is now buy the parts from them.

Don't know everything about the Z's since I don't have one yet...But I do know about cars and I'm an Elec. Tech. The 13.5-14.7 volts you read means the voltage regulator is doing it's job but it doesn't always mean the Alt. too...just 9 out of 10 times.:classic:

The best thing is to have a parts store run a charging system and battery check on the car. The alternator must be in the car and the car running to read current draw (amps).

NAPA is evil:bandit: ... try Autozone.:cheeky:

Nate:cross-eye