IGNORED

The speedometer has 160, we have took it to 155mph.

Sailor Bob

When my car was less than 6mo. old (1976) and I was young, I out ran a mustang that wanted to race. This was going through Ohio on interstate 70. I got the speed up to 130 on the speedo, but it was shaking and shimming like it was going to fall apart. I was at that speed on the speedo for about 30 seconds. The mustang could not keep up. I don't think I would try it today, too old, me and the car.

Info: 1971 240Z with a .85 5th gear, 4.44 lsd (equals 3.77 overall gearing in 5th), calibrated speedometer (an adapter built by a speedometer speciality shop), balanced engine, DeLong camshaft installed by FAR Performance, additional distributor and carbeurator work by FAR Performance, 6 to 1 headers w/2" exhaust. Lowered with BRE springs, front BRE spook and a long straightaway equaled 141mph. (summer of 1973) Did it once and never attempted it again - fun experience, but..............
rpm's were ~7200 at this speed. Also, I am sure it was a surprise to the driver of the Corvette whose front bumper was even with my rear bumper when we had to back out of it.:classic:

I would not want to be in my 240 or any 240 at 155mph. I have had my stock 72 up to about 100Mph and it was a little frightning to say the least. It got real greasy in the front end and felt like it wanted to drift all over the road. Until I install a good front spoiler and a rear wing I think I will keep her down a bit. I have real good suspension and tires and it was a cheap thrill that I will not seek again. I am also too old and so is my car.We prefer to live and fight again another day. LOL

Bovine Excrement? Sounds like it to me.Or if it "sounds to good to be true",it probably is.

Mine is basically the same story. 78 w/stock engine and differential, 83 5 speed. 128 in fourth (don't know the RPM..watching the road!) shifted to 5th and it didn't seem to want to go any faster. Scary ride. That was 10 years ago with no front or rear spoiler/air dam and 1857014 tires. I now have a front air dam, rear spoiler, 2256014 tires and it's lowered a couple of inches but I don't think I'll ever try for top speed again either.

I had a gentleman's bet of $1 with the owner of the car most likely to make 150mph using an N/A L-Engine Six Cylinder in an S30 with a stock body (no G-Nose)...Didn't have to pay, though he was close.

Physics is not your friend, indeed it is a harsh taskmaster. For all those with 'stock' 140mph 240Z's, I have two words...

"Speedometer Error"

Or, depending on my mood...

"Bovine Excrement"

And yes, with a G-Nose, 173.325mph on a closed course, in less than 3 miles, from a standing start blowing by like a mother but the fees were already paid...

Actually, in stock bodied cars, I have seen V8's struggle mighitily and not exceed 155. The aero is terrible at that speed, and cubic horsepower really means just that! 350 will get you in the area, but it's still not likely!

just to make sure this was not directed at me, my car is not stock and is pushing approx 230hp (guesstimate)

not that i'm implying that you were directing that to me, but hey :)

Norm Simpers (12secdualSUdude) used to take his '72 up to 140 as indicated on the speedo. (See above mentioned posts RE sppedo errors) His Z was slightly modified and quite a bit faster than my all stock '71. If he said he did it then he did or at least his speedo said he did. :)

My '71 used to break 100-110 on pizza deliveries in my younger days. 120 mph in the Z is the threshold of fear for me and I'm not afraid of much! :) You just can't find a road straight and long enough to really open it up. (Now that Florida is developed) Doubt my Z could go over 130 stock.

Mine is basically the same story. 78 w/stock engine and differential, 83 5 speed. 128 in fourth (don't know the RPM..watching the road!) shifted to 5th and it didn't seem to want to go any faster. Scary ride. That was 10 years ago with no front or rear spoiler/air dam and 1857014 tires. I now have a front air dam, rear spoiler, 2256014 tires and it's lowered a couple of inches but I don't think I'll ever try for top speed again either.

What kind of rpm's would I expect from a 5 speed going about 65 or so? I'm just tired of running over three grand whenever I get on the freeway.

What kind of rpm's would I expect from a 5 speed going about 65 or so? I'm just tired of running over three grand whenever I get on the freeway.
With the 81-83 5speed and the stock 3.545 differential at 65 mph you'd be doing 2350-2500 depending on tire size. Here's a chart you can plug in tire size, diff ratio, trans type, etc. Trans Calculator