IGNORED

Recommended hardware to mount spook?

Arne

I've got the MSA spook. It's attached w/ 6 fasteners and fits petty well. Construction seems fine, though Les's might be made a bit heavier.

I got the ducted version, with the intent of "someday" putting driving lights in the vent pockets.

post-15388-14150804405035_thumb.jpg

So; is the MSA BRE spoiler as well made as the Classic Datsun BRE spoiler?

I'm about to buy one; but not sure.

I have the Classic Datsun version, it is very nicely made, and is hand-laid cloth (not chopped fibers sprayed in the mold) that is heavier-duty than any other spook replica that I have looked at in person. But I will admit that I have not yet seen MSA's current product in person, so I don't know for certain.

Umm, maybe a noob/irrelevant question but why is it called a spook? Never heard that term for a spoiler/air dam before.

The term "spook" is trade marked and originated with the roadsters. This is from www.datsun.org & a quote from Pete Brock.

A front air dam, incorporating scoops, cunningly disguised as brake ducts, which Pete Brock marketed as a SPOOKTM, (an amalgam of spoiler and scoop). The 2000 Roadster was the first production race car worldwide to feature an air dam.

PB:- "Most people thought we were mad 'cause they were so ugly! But they did the job. Under the rules no such device was allowed, but "brake scoops" were permitted. My brake scoop design ran right across the front of the car and complied with the letter of the rules so it was permitted! Later everyone began to copy the idea and then they began showing up on the street. The rest is history".

I have one from MSA without ducts, so technically it really shouldn't be called a "spook". It is well built, also hand laid woven construction and perfectly semetrical. Mounts the same as the ducted version.

I mounted mine using 14" stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers, to the lower valence.

It wasn't until after I re-installed the valence with the spook attached that I noticed that I probably should have mounted the spook to the lower rad support, since the shape of the spook near this area was pretty much a match. oh well. I put it on more for looks than aerodynamics.

I don't know the manufacturer of mine. I bought mine used from a guy that got it on a parts car, it needed some repair work as well.

front%20no%20plate%20sm.jpg

• 3 months later...
Hi Randy:

When BRE first started shipping the Spooks for the Z's (their Mk II design for the Z).. the lower half of the ducts were molded into the Spook, the upper half of the ducts were molded separately and then bonded to the lower half by BRE. So when the Spook arrived the rear of the ducts were fully enclosed and round.

Sometime later, they simply included the upper half of the ducts, and it was up to the installer to decide if they wanted or needed to use them, later still BRE simply quite suppling the upper halfs all together.

The first Spook I received for my 70 Z was of the first type. After I smashed that one, the second Spook I received was of the second type and I did not install the upper half of the ducts on that one. When I purchased a new Spook for my 72 Z - it came without the upper half of the ducts.

The Spook that BRE ran on their #46 car was quite different than the "redesigned" Mk II that they sold to the public. See picture below...

The early Mk II's also had a wider reinforcing lip around the outside, than the later one's.

Here is the original spook that was on HLS30-00210. It is the first version of the MkII that Carl described with the upper ducts molded separately and then bonded to the lower duct with additional fiberglass. I would assume this version would duct air better to the brakes, so why did BRE stop making them this way? Did they direct too much water to the brakes when the ducts were fully enclosed and it rained? I plan to get a new reproduction from classicdatsun and leave it painted black (like the original was) rather than paint it body color (white). I like the contrast. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to use my original to make reproductions of the upper ducts if any one is interested in them? Will?

-Mike

post-9102-14150805614811_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805615342_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805615849_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805616276_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805616703_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805617127_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805617545_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805617974_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing up an old post, but I thought it was better than starting a new one on the same topic.

I got a new BRE Spook from BRE. I want to copy the mounting as close as original as I can. I found one of the 9 mounting marks, and with psdenno measurements and the instructions I should get close on the holes between the two air ducts. I could use a little help on the mounting points outside of the ducks, on the ends. The instructions Carl posted states the general bolt size, could someone find out how long the bolts were and what was the overall diameter of the small and large washers. If someone fells really ambitious a picture of an original bolt head, so I can try to match exactly would help.

The new BRE spooks look very good no twists or warping. The only thing that could have been done better was the gel-coat it has some scratches and was not laid as well as it could have, however the glass work is great.