IGNORED

#305 on Ebay

In reading one tangent of this thread I am astounded that only two members outside the USA have contributed anything to the club CD I have been working on. Too much difficulty in obtaining info is the number one barrier to developing interest...I am very interested in the non USA versions of the S30, I have been collecting info specific to them(though not related to the club cd project) for over a year, and I still have less than 10% as much info on all of the other S30 models than I do for the hls30. That includes fsms, owners manuals,(both in english), reviews, enthusiast books, and magazines...

As to cornering the market on program cars, with approx 39% between two owners, obviously someone (or two someones) agree with Carl, and have the money and space to prove it...

Will

Now I have New Port Richey car show envy!

In reading one tangent of this thread I am astounded that only two members outside the USA have contributed anything to the club CD I have been working on. Too much difficulty in obtaining info is the number one barrier to developing interest...I am very interested in the non USA versions of the S30, I have been collecting info specific to them(though not related to the club cd project) for over a year, and I still have less than 10% as much info on all of the other S30 models than I do for the hls30. That includes fsms, owners manuals,(both in english), reviews, enthusiast books, and magazines...

As to cornering the market on program cars, with approx 39% between two owners, obviously someone (or two someones) agree with Carl, and have the money and space to prove it...

Will

Now I have New Port Richey car show envy!

Is there a link or description of the "club CD project". First I've heard of it.

Yep, what Arne said - ditto. It's a tough move from 35MM to digital - especially if you have a large investment in lenses, etc. - but if you enjoy photography, you will be happy that you did it. Some of the DSLR units are being made to accept the 35MM lenses, as well which takes some of the pain out of it. And having your own darkroom at your computer fingertips is simply fantastic.

Years ago when I still shot 35mm I learned a simple trick. Don't be a cheapskate and think you have to finish off the roll just because you paid for the film. Otherwise you run the risk of wasting a bunch of shots that you really don't care about just to finish the roll and then end up paying extra for prints you don't really need.

Neither car sold.

(continue on--this discussion is more informative anyway)

He's advertised two cars for fifty bucks or so, and set the price high intentionally so that nobody would bid (and therefore he wouldn't owe eBay a slice of the sale price).

Not a bad deal when you think about it...at least for the seller. He's certainly gotten some exposure for his cars, which look fairly rough in the photos and likely wouldn't stir any excitement otherwise.

I spoke with some one recently that has seen #51. I was told the car is an absolute mess and missing most of the parts for the car. Floor pans, rockers, dog legs and such all gone. This is why he has not posted pictures. Based upon this I must assume he is trying to sell the VIN and not the car. If the VIN is very important to some one the car can always be reconstructed. If the buyer has the money the seller wants and doesn't care I say go for it. Life is short and it's not always so necessary to get a deal if you can afford it.

McKrack – If you are intent on restoring a ’69 build S30, I will offer a few suggestions.

-Don’t be enticed by a low number alone. Fact is, there are many more of these cars in need of restoration than there are correct available parts. That is assuming you don’t compromise on originality.

-You should start by acquiring the parts you know you will need. I am referring to ’69 build specific parts. This is the most time consuming aspect of the restoration. You will have to get your ear to the ground and develop a network with like minded individuals, if you can. Even though you will be competing for many of the same pieces on some occasions, in the long run it will be beneficial. Be prepared to spend years searching. Also be prepared to lay out the coin on a moments notice. Consider it a long term investment, liquid assets if you will. Even if the restoration doesn’t ever come about, there will be a demand for these parts.

-The correct body/shell components, although most are not ’69 build specific are becoming hard to come by. I know how hard it was to find inner rocker stampings and the rear roll pan panel. Other likely needed pieces will be the floor pans, outer rockers, outer half wheel tub, quarters, front frame, floor support sections and other misc. pieces.

It will take a skilled metal man to graft some of these pieces also. Even though we are blessed with a supplier for good floor pan replacement pieces, they need a lot of refining for this level of restoration. Most candidates you find for restoration will likely need most of these pieces or extensive reconstruction, even if it is not immediately evident.

-This gives you time to network and find the right car to begin with. I would put more emphasis on locating one with most of the original pieces intact and not focus on the number. When you find one acceptable, let it be known to the owner that you are a serious potentential buyer and have an interest. Don't make an impulse buy. You have expressed the opinion that these are "once in a lifetime opportunities". I believe time is on your side.