IGNORED

#305 on Ebay

Alan,we are doing the same.I have been trying to tell the universe of the Z for Japanese people.They do not try to see overseas model.They(magazine) are always talking about 240ZG and Z432,I hate it !!

You have been trying to tell the hole family of Z. I strongly support your statement "S30" it is simple,it is core of the car.We just add ,HL,P,whatever.

I can see something has been changing.

Unfortunately, Kats, most people cannot appreciate what they don't know about or understand. Vintage Z in USA was, for a long time, one model only. That's the way most US people see it. Continue to educate and things will slowly change. Maybe someone should start with correcting all the errors in wikipedia . . .

Aren't we all just one happy S30 family here?:)

Not taking sides here. Just wanted to share a conversation I had at the parts store.

When buying parts I was told by the clerk that he had a friend who sold an early VIN '69 240Z for $60,000. The fellow was at a car show and was approached by the buyer who asked what his price was. Stunned, the Z owner scribbled $60K on a sheet of paper and a few days later he was richer for it.

The clerk (older guy) had no reason to embelish or lie. This was a real parts store and not one of the garden style variety McDonalds dropout parts stores.

Seems to me it's more a matter of getting lucky and finding a good buyer.

FWIW

Jim

Unfortunately, Kats, most people cannot appreciate what they don't know about or understand. Vintage Z in USA was, for a long time, one model only. That's the way most US people see it. Continue to educate and things will slowly change. Maybe someone should start with correcting all the errors in wikipedia . . .

I know I said I wouldn't post in this thread anymore but that comment, at least for me, begs an answer. I do understand that the 'US model' is part of the overall S30 family. I just didn't think that a question about the value of, as I said earler, a 'US model' S30 being sold in the US on ebay, should have led to a discussion of the total history of the S30 throughout the entire world. This particular 'US person' is well aware of and does understand the differences between the different market variations. I've read about it often enough and watched and participated in some of the discussions and debates on that very subject in the 4+ years I've been on this site. And, even prior to that, I've had a long term interest in these cars. I bought a 69 build date 240Z brand new in early 1970. Even then I knew that it wasn't the only model built in the series. In fact, I remember the salesman telling me that the US version was a 'dumbed down' version of the Japanese domestic market version. I just didn't think that had anything to do with the subject of this thread. Apparently I was wrong.

Aren't we all just one happy S30 family here?:)

Not taking sides here. Just wanted to share a conversation I had at the parts store.

When buying parts I was told by the clerk that he had a friend who sold an early VIN '69 240Z for $60,000. The fellow was at a car show and was approached by the buyer who asked what his price was. Stunned, the Z owner scribbled $60K on a sheet of paper and a few days later he was richer for it.

The clerk (older guy) had no reason to embelish or lie. This was a real parts store and not one of the garden style variety McDonalds dropout parts stores.

Seems to me it's more a matter of getting lucky and finding a good buyer.

FWIW

Jim

Next time you're in the shop, let him know I have a '71 that needs a little work (probably about $5k) to truly be excellent that I'll let go for a discounted, friends of classic z car price, of $38,342...a $17k discount on the $60k quoted above...I'll even fix the leaky gas tank before delivery...I must be in a charitable mood today...LOL

On top of that...the car actually began it's life in Japan...it must be super-valuable given the contributions of the internationally minded crew here...

If anyone runs into that buyer...let me know..ROFL

snip

On top of that...the car actually began it's life in Japan...it must be super-valuable given the contributions of the internationally minded crew here...

comments like this serve no purpose other than starting flame wars.

Please have respect for "us" internationally minded crews.

comments like this serve no purpose other than starting flame wars.

Please have respect for "us" internationally minded crews.

Actually I do have respect for you (note my earlier posts...). This was a joke to lighten the mood...hence all the smiley faces...

Take a deep breath...have a beer...appreciate the fact that you live in a culture that isn't fully consumed by itself (now that will get a flame war going...).

It's a great day...didn't you hear, Paris Hilton is out of jail...

(imagine one big giant smiley here...)

Cheers,

Yesterday afternoon, I drove two hours up to New Port Richey to visit my Z friends and mark the arrival of HLS30-00017. As I commented previously, 17th was found in the Chicago are where she was living in a grain silo? for the last fifteen years. The new owner was introduced to a restoration shop in New Port Richey several months ago and he decided to have the car restored there. The afternoon was a small meeting of the low VIN club. Four members were in attendance and we were graced by one of the most famous Z show cars, ZRush. One of our attendees drove his Fairlady ZL; the first time I have seen the car run. What struck me most and brought to mind this conversation was how much attention the Fairlady received. Of course, we all drooled over ZRush as we always do. Vicky’s car is stunning if you never seen it. But I was amazed with how much time we spent looking at the RHD example and comparing it to our experiences with our American versions. I sat in the car with the new owner of 17th and chatted about our experiences with restoration and the costs involved. We made several comments about how difficult it would be to restore a Japanese version of the Z in America.

I thought I would share the experience with you guys and girls as I encourage you all to think globally when you talk about our loved Zs. The Z is a fascinating design; made for both left and right hand drive from the very beginning. We may like to think specifically about value for one particular model, but the thought is far from complete without considering the entire range of models – the whole family. Some may argue that we are simply talking about #51 or #305 in this thread, but consider the value that has been added to our collective knowledge by the comments made from those who know other models, other countries, other restoration practices and sales values.

Finally, it has come to my attention that approximately 18% of the Vintage Zs are now owned by one collector. I saw this happen many years ago when one collector controlled the majority of AC Cobras. I witnessed the price of Cobras jump from $5,000 to $40,000 over night, it seems. Prepare to see the same with Vintage Zs.

Finally, it has come to my attention that approximately 18% of the Vintage Zs are now owned by one collector.
Please elaborate, Chris. When you say "Vintage Zs" what exactly are you referring to? Surely that must be a narrower definition than I'm thinking of. Even if you are only talking about what we here in the US call "Series 1" 240Zs, 18% is a huge batch of cars. Details (without names is fine), please??

My guess is that Chris is referring to the restoration program cars. My understanding is that actually 8 (21%) of these cars are owned by one individual, and I know for sure 7 (18%) are owned by another individual.

Also, I was fortunate enough to see #17 before she left for Florida, as well as all the parts that are waiting to be installed, and I can say it will be an amazing and exellent example of a '69 car when it is completed! She is certainly getting the full treatment! :classic:

I try so hard to keep names out of internet conversations with respect to the cars and collections we are talking about hoping to not offend anyone. None-the-less, we are talking about the same guy, Doug and Chris. Arnie, I am referring to the Z restoration program. Some people say 38 cars were restored. I have a hand written note from Pete Evanow saying 42 cars were done. I'm still up in the air about exact figures and still collect information about the program and the cars when I find it. I wrote a book about the program and with some more work and luck hope to publish it some day.