IGNORED

Rack, struts, spring, bushings

Hey,

I finished up the front end yesterday. It was rather time consuming, because I had not done it before. I had to keep referring back to the shop manual. I guess I will tackle the rear end next week. I will also take photos of the rear end. I did not take photos of the front end. I replaced the rack, ball joints, tie-rod ends (motorsport), the struts (KYB-GR2), springs (Euro-springs from Courtesy) and all the bushing that I could - except for the stabilizer bar.

The questions that I have is in regards to the front end alignment. Should I go ahead and set a static alignment before I lower her off the jack stands? My problem with is as soon as I lower her off of the stands, then I am too big to get under her to adjust the tie rod ends.

Maybe, I could borrow someones ramp stands?

By the way, I would not recommend this job for anyone that is not completely familiar with the Z or at least mechanically inclined and can read a good shop manual.

Chuck

Chuck, let us know about the car's stance after you get the Euro springs on all four corners. There's been some talk about cutting off coils to get the car to sit lower. I have the Euro springs (oem, not the reproductions) and am going to use Mulholund oil shocks and was hoping not to have to cut them. But if I do, I'll follow the lead of others that have gone before me.

A couple of previous forum discussions talking about the Euro Springs:

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21115&page=2

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25986&highlight=euro+springs

Based on personal experience, a set of un-cut Euro springs (either original or repro) with Mulhollands (or any non-gas-strut) will raise the ride height about 3/4" over stock both front and rear. The change from your current height could be even greater, depending on whether or how much your current springs have sagged.

I cut my Euro springs down 1.5 coils in front, and 1.25 coils in back - with NOS Mulhollands that gave me a ride height 1/8" to 1/4" higher than stock. About the same as using KYBs with good-condition stock springs.

For stock ride height with non-gas shocks I'd recommend cutting 1.75 coils in front and 1.5 coils in back. If you want the nose just a touch lower than the rear, go 2.0 coils in front and 1.5 coils in the rear.

For use with KYBs I'd take an additional quarter coil off each of the above recommendations.

With my Euro springs and G-2s I removed 2 1/2 coils from the front and 1 3/4 from the rear. I am at almost dead level. If I were to do it again I would take 1 1/2 from the rear instead. This will give you a slight rake . My Z measures from the center of the wheel down to the ground from the bottom edge of the fender. 25 3/8 on the front and 25 1/5 on the rear. I have 195/70 14 tires. I did install bump stops on all four struts. The ride is firm but not harsh . Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I will post some pics later in the week. I am out of town, currently. The Euro springs from courtesy nissan caused the whole car to grow a bit. There is exactly 27" from ground to top of fender. I would say about 2 - 3 inches to tall. The ride is exactly what I was looking for. I have not finished my bushings, because I ran into another problem with compression. All in all my 240 no looks like a 280. I guess I have to remove some length in the coils.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished with the replacement of the springs and struts. I have included some pics. The ride is right, but it is a bit taller than I wanted. I will probably have to cut some length off the springs or put back my stock springs, but all in all I am happy with the result.

post-12051-14150800680965_thumb.jpg

post-12051-14150800681261_thumb.jpg

post-12051-14150800681459_thumb.jpg

I have already put enough miles on it for 1/4 of a tank. I will probably drive it around this week for the 4th of July and then put it in the garage again. Hopefully it will settle a bit, but I doubt it will settle more than 2".

Thanks for the responce.

I don't think it looks bad, but I agree that the car's stance would look better if it was dropped an inch or so.

When I installed my Tokicos, at first the car looked like yours (I was using stock springs before). Lowering springs equals a higher ride height...? Huh? Turns out they just needed to settle in. Now I'm at roughly the same height that I was at before, it's just that the old springs were sagging badly so I was at the 'lowered' height already....

You'll be happy with those new springs. Your car is going to handle very nicely with those installed.

I don't think it looks bad, but I agree that the car's stance would look better if it was dropped an inch or so.

When I installed my Tokicos, at first the car looked like yours (I was using stock springs before). Lowering springs equals a higher ride height...? Huh? Turns out they just needed to settle in. Now I'm at roughly the same height that I was at before, it's just that the old springs were sagging badly so I was at the 'lowered' height already....

You'll be happy with those new springs. Your car is going to handle very nicely with those installed.

How long did it take for your springs to settle in (time or mileage)?

How long did it take for your springs to settle in (time or mileage)?

I've heard everything from 'drive it around the block' to 'drive it for two weeks to let the springs settle'. Mine looked like they were pretty much settled in after driving it to the office and back.