IGNORED

Anybody replace the plastic rivots...

Blue Meanie

I agree with you. One thing though if you want to remain stock then the OEM rivets will be necessary. I don't really care to this extent. So what I used is some stuff I bought at Lows , Home Depot most likely or Ace Hardware should all carry the same things. The plastic things that you insert into sheet rock so you can screw a bracket on the wall. They are tapered and have ridges that grip as the screw is inserted and the two halves separate. Well any way the ones that work are yellow different colors are the different sizes. I cut them to 1/2 inch, this way they will separate quickly when you run the screw in and will lock in place. I used a counter sunk Philips head wood screw and a Stainless washer that has been used in cars for years and years for this. I don't remember the name of them but they accommodate the tapered head of the screw so it is below its surface and dresses up the attachment. I used them everywhere a plastic rivet had been used. I have over 8000 miles on the Z since installation and so far nun have come loose. If I need to remove a panel it is easy . I don't know how to send a picture to the thread . If you would like to see what it looks like send me a PM with your email address Gary

I replaced all of mine and am happy I did. The panels do not rattle now and it even looks better. What I used were actual screws and retaining nuts. They come in various sizes and I got them at AutoZone. Don't have the size but am going there tomorrow and will get the stock part number for you. Anyway, they are black flat metal pieces with kinda a U shape that fit over the hole. The screw then goes into it and it fits tight & secure. Each box contains retaining nuts and scews and cost about 1.50 each for about ten pieces. Again, I will confirm all this for you tomorrow.

This is the second time in a week that I have heard about interior panel squeek, rattle, and noise! Humphf! Now an attack on those cute "once-in-a-lifetime" rivets! When I started restoring my car, interior rivets were a premium on eBay, but now they seem to be commonly available again. In all colors. I believe the panels were originally fit with thin foam strips on the edges to keep them from making noise and I have used silicon sealant as a gasket in the past. Most of the old panels I remove have only the tattered remnanats of the foam remaining. Although screwing is generally a great idea, I like the drywall anchor suggestion. Keep in mind that a fastener like a screw may crack or chip the plastic panel.

Thanks for the tips!

I was thinking of a self tapping screw with a rubber washer underneath the screw head to lessen the chance of cracking I was also kicking around the idea of using polished screws and washers. Kinda give it that aircraft, machined look. I think it would look good with the black panels.

This is the second time in a week that I have heard about interior panel squeek, rattle, and noise! Humphf! Now an attack on those cute "once-in-a-lifetime" rivets! When I started restoring my car, interior rivets were a premium on eBay, but now they seem to be commonly available again. In all colors. I believe the panels were originally fit with thin foam strips on the edges to keep them from making noise and I have used silicon sealant as a gasket in the past. Most of the old panels I remove have only the tattered remnanats of the foam remaining. Although screwing is generally a great idea, I like the drywall anchor suggestion. Keep in mind that a fastener like a screw may crack or chip the plastic panel.

all hardware and lumber yards sell a roll of peel and stick foam in different widths and thickness, such as 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick. this might be an option if you want to get rid of the rattles and squeeks in your panels. 10' lengths per roll retail usually for around $5.00

They (Fastenal) just opened a new store right down the hill from me. I'll check it out. I thought the rivets were still available from Nissan. I've got a couple of packs of 10 that I bought about two years ago. The part number is 90909-E4100.

As promised, at Auto Zone: the retainers are called, "U-Type Speed nuts" made by Dorman, stock number: 961-305. These are an assortment of sizes, 12 clips to a box, $1.42 a box. Screws are regular black trim screws also made by Dorman.

Regarding the noise in panels, I have used a sound deadener (Second Skin) on all my panels (as well as the outside skin, of course) which is yet another reason I went with screws. The panels now have to support the extra weight and I felt the stock plastic rivets just were not strong enough.

If someone wanted a really trick looking fastener set-up for replacing the plastic rivets, why not install Dzus fasteners. Sure it would take so time to do properly but, the end result would be very cool looking and best of all easier and quicker to remove a panel than the other suggestion made. I know, it's a bit over board but that just me!

Thanks for the tips!

I was thinking of a self tapping screw with a rubber washer underneath the screw head to lessen the chance of cracking I was also kicking around the idea of using polished screws and washers. Kinda give it that aircraft, machined look. I think it would look good with the black panels.

blue , no need for self tapping screws if you use the plastic inserts I described . The trim ''washer'' will allow you to tighten with out cracking the panel, and they look 100% better than a washer. I used a 3/16 width foam strip that is about 1/8'' thick you just peal the plastic off the back and stick it on the edge of the panel. ACE has a large selection of various thickness . This will eliminate any squeaks. It just replaces the OEM foam that was used originally that has rotted away. This gives a finished look all around and if you are not looking to be original , I think it looks good. One more thing about the plastic inserts. Use a razor blade and cut down the insert so the screw can easily expand the two halves. This way it expands quickly and locks in. If you decide for some reason you don't like them they are easy to remove. Gary:rambo: