IGNORED

Triple Carbs vs. SU

kcoke

What would be better for my L24? I Have a racing performance Cam with MSA 3 into 2 headers and electronic ignition. What would be better for my engine SU carbs or a set of triple carbs? Or even a 4 barrel conversion or the dual webers? I want to make my engine fast. Its a 1971 Datsun 240z. My goal is to smoke the stock GT's around.

kcoke,

You will find more info than you'll know what do with by using the search function, both here and on other sites. If your Z has the four-speed, you probably have the 3.36 geared R180 differential. Installing a 3.90 or 4.11 differential will dramatically affect your acceleration, probably much more than carburetor choice. A five-speed will still provide good economy.

Having said that, There are many 240Z drivers running mid 13's to high 12's with well-tuned SU's. Most use the 2.8 liter block bored and stroked, but there are several running just the 2.8 liter block. Almost all have done some serious head work in addition to cam, ignition, headers, and proper gearing.

I've seen, and read about, some very hot Z's running just the 2.4 block. And if you really love triples as I do, then go for it. They will usually improve your low-end torque and add horsepower over SU's. With your 2.4 block, I would stick with 40's, rather than 44 or 45's. But be prepared for jet swapping and dyno tuning to get them properly set up and to get the most out of your triples. This will not be cheap. Once you hear the sound of triples and experience the performance, you'll be hooked as I am.

As for dual Weber DGV's, they were originally used on the 73 240's and 74 260's to replace the poor performance-designed flat top low emission carburetors. But once used round top SU's became available, many ditched the DGV's in favor of the earlier round top SU's. The DGV's are more complicated than the SU's, but they can be made to run well.

All of the above are my opinions, and their are many, many more knowledgeable folks on this site. Some of them will chime in to correct or add to what I've said. But do yourself a favor and do the search, too. Good luck and best wishes in reaching your performance goals.

but how about a set or triple SUs? We are doing the development (say casting of manifolds) work to duplicate the triple set-up Steve Epperly had on the ZTherapy Z. We can guaranty the pleasure of driving on SUs, with the punch of three of 'em, with the simplicity of playing with mixture nuts & three screws to get 'em right, while being so subtle the average car guy wont know the difference.

but how about a set or triple SUs? We are doing the development (say casting of manifolds) work to duplicate the triple set-up Steve Epperly had on the ZTherapy Z. We can guaranty the pleasure of driving on SUs, with the punch of three of 'em, with the simplicity of playing with mixture nuts & three screws to get 'em right, while being so subtle the average car guy wont know the difference.

Sounds good I saw some videos on YouTube.com of Mike's yellow 240z with triple SU's manifold it looked awesome. Is that your work? :rambo:

... that Steve built as the proto-type. Bolted them on did the tweaking and they have run like a swiss watch ever since ON BOTH CARS. They were put on Mike's car to get it up and running and for the show, but they will now be used for casting pattern work.

How many of you here think you would be interested in this lash-up complete ready to bolt on tweak 'em and go??

... How many of you here think you would be interested in this lash-up complete ready to bolt on tweak 'em and go??

Hi Bruce, you can mark me down for a complete setup.

Would you need my SU's back? They were done by Scott B. a few years ago, and I have two that need overhauled as well.

Seriously interested,

Chris A.