IGNORED

TERRIBLE NEWS! ... Nis-san Dream Car Ga-rage Crushed?

Mat Big Hat

WHAT WAS THAT?

I don't know the details at Nissan itself. But the local Datsun dealer in my town was instructed to trash all parts in their inventory older than a certain date.

Obsolescence they called it. I happened to be at the dealer (Doan Rose Datsun) one day during this cleaning house period. I was allowed to sort through the parts they were going to scrap. I made out like a bandit and it was all free. 200SX and 240Z parts were all I took. I lived in an apartment with no garage at the time or I would have taken much much more.

Like a dummy I passed on some engine, tranny and diffferential parts because I wasn't as educated on Datsuns as I am know. Hindsight being 20-20 and all! :stupid:

Chris A.

I don't know the details at Nissan itself. But the local Datsun dealer in my town was instructed to trash all parts in their inventory older than a certain date.

Obsolescence they called it. I happened to be at the dealer (Doan Rose Datsun) one day during this cleaning house period. I was allowed to sort through the parts they were going to scrap. I made out like a bandit and it was all free. 200SX and 240Z parts were all I took. I lived in an apartment with no garage at the time or I would have taken much much more.

Like a dummy I passed on some engine, tranny and diffferential parts because I wasn't as educated on Datsuns as I am know. Hindsight being 20-20 and all! :stupid:

Chris A.

Then you need to join the TIME CAPSULE'S CLUB, ~TCC~,

for those who wish they could go back in time.

Our membership is DEEP!

And reluctantly free! :ermm:

~Z~

I think the burden of proof is on the person, or persons that claimed that the cars were crushed and not the other way around. I would like to see proof that one of the cars was crushed. Otherwise it is just a rumor in my mind...How do you disprove a rumor that can't be substantiated in the first place?

As for Nissan USA, well they have "loaned" their cars to a museum, and had to cut back on their inventory to do so. Nissan sold the cars that they could not get into the Lane Museum...

Toyota built their own Museum, where they are not restricted to the number of cars.

Another example: the JCCS show here in Southern California, Toyota supports this event by showing up with a tractor-trailer rig full of rare beautiful Toyotas. Nissan, which has a much larger turn out in pure numbers and percentage of cars, did the minimum.

I spoke to my contacts at Nissan USA, in the marketing department prior to the JCCS event. They did not even show up for this event. Again, their interest is NISSAN cars, not Datsuns.

Nissan USA is in the business of selling new cars, they support any action that "in their mind" supports the sale of new cars and trucks. Supporting a Vintage event is not in their best interest.

Nissan was on board to support the Mitty last year, the first celebration of the Vintage Japanese car... and backed out rather publicly after the fliers were completed...Mazda stepped in and will sponsor through 2009.

Mazda supports racing...Laguna Seca is sponsored by Mazda. To my knowledge Nissan does not support a track in North America.

Please understand that this is not a bashing of Nissan, rather a statement that they could be doing better. There are aspects of NISSAN USA that are well done, and I do support them. My daily driver is a 05 Armada, and it is a great SUV.

I would hope that NISSAN USA would show a unified front and gather their resources to support the history of the cars that is the foundation of their marque. I will continue to hope that they do so some time in the near future, because at the end of the day I still am an advocate for these great cars, past and present.

I think the burden of proof is on the person, or persons that claimed that the cars were crushed and not the other way around. I would like to see proof that one of the cars was crushed. Otherwise it is just a rumor in my mind...How do you disprove a rumor that can't be substantiated in the first place?

I agree.

Yeah, well I think the years of the great ~SSAN~, ended when goehsen made English the official language of Nissan instead of Japanese.

He also said English speaking employees will move further up the "ladder" and faster over those who speak Japanese only.

Imaging coming in and telling Dodge to speak French, yeah, like that'll wash over. Shesh :rolleyes:

~Z~

Yeah, well I think the years of the great ~SSAN~, ended when goehsen made English the official language of Nissan instead of Japanese.

He also said English speaking employees will move further up the "ladder" and faster over those who speak Japanese only.

Imaging coming in and telling Dodge to speak French, yeah, like that'll wash over. Shesh :rolleyes:

~Z~

To be far, English is and probably will remain the international business language for a very long time to come.

Yeah, it does seem "nuts" that Nissan would crush any cars as they are aware of the following that the z has worldwide.

I think the burden of proof is on the person, or persons that claimed that the cars were crushed and not the other way around. I would like to see proof that one of the cars was crushed. Otherwise it is just a rumor in my mind...How do you disprove a rumor that can't be substantiated in the first place? ...

I agree.

Toyota built their own Museum, where they are not restricted to the number of cars. ...

This is exactly what I believe Nissan should do.

Mazda supports racing...Laguna Seca is sponsored by Mazda. To my knowledge Nissan does not support a track in North America. ...

Hey Ron... as far as Nissan supporting A track I don't know... but don't limit them to a history of sport cars... They are the headlining sponsor of CORR (Championship Off-Road Racing).

I would hope that NISSAN USA would show a unified front and gather their resources to support the history of the cars that is the foundation of their marque. I will continue to hope that they do so some time in the near future, because at the end of the day I still am an advocate for these great cars, past and present.

Here,Here! Well said Ron. Can anyone think of a way that would be proactive in rasing Nissan's awareness that they NEED to be out there supporting the past. It's not like they have the skeletons in the closet they need to hide from that other companies do... I.E.: Edsel, Pinto, Corvair, GM Diesels...

Sort of sounds like Nissans massive parts dump, doesn't it...

Will

Oh, God! I'm going to be sick!!! :sick:

~Nate

Thanks Nate, Good point. I do know that they are the title sponsor for CORR, and almost made a notation of that in my post you quoted above.

Nissan needs to know that promoting their past will help them to sell new cars. They have an awesome racing history in the USA and abroad. I would hope that they would use this as a tool to sell cars. Like what Porsche does. I own, a Z, 510, Roadster and Armada. I could have, and almost did, buy a Toyota. But due to sense of loyalty I could not see myself towing my racing Datsuns with a Toyota.

How many Z owners on this forum own a 1983 or newer Nissan, and if so what cars. Then put together a letter with the demographics and send it to Nissan. It would be interesting to know who on the 350Z/G35 sites, HybridZ, Clubarmada.com and others were influenced by the ownership or history of the product that they drive. And how important was that to them at the time of their purchase!

I get comments from "Kids", (I am 40 so everyone under the age of 27 is a kid to me) who see one of my race cars and are really interested in it, what it is what its known for, etc. Same with the Drifting crowd. They have lots of respect for the older Japanese cars and love them the way the generation before us loved muscle cars.

I will tell you for every one Toyota I see racing in Vintage there are at least to 25 racing Datsuns. That says something about owner loyalty, and the quality product behind the Nissan/Datsun Marque. The only car I know of that has such a following is Porsche! Alfa Romeo is a distant 3rd.

I welcome anyone who is willing to put this together, and contact Nissan. I will put that person in contact with my contacts at Nissan for what it is worth. But I will warn anyone who wants to take on this project, don't expect much in return.

I wonder where this ended up. I wonder how hard it would be to swap...

after all, if I were to ever do an engine swap, I'd want to stay in the family, seems only right. :)

It sits on an engine stand in the office for Nissan Motorsports in Smyrna TN along with two other engines.