IGNORED

Besides the washer fluid pump, what else gets power on the drivers side?

ktm

Take all of this with a grain of salt, as your 'local Z car expert' is only partly correct, at least concerning 71's.

The two wires mentioned in this thread do appear to be similar to a pair that run down to the left side of an automatic transmission. If that was really what they were, they would have been for the kick-down modulator, not the starter interlock, which is located on the right side of the transmission.

The reason this theory doesn't wash is that that pair of wires was not the only additional wires in the automatic harness. There would also need to be the extra pair in the right side of the tunnel mentioned above, plus there is an additional relay with several extra wires on the inner fender under the coil. Without those as well, I don't see how that car or harness could have been an automatic.

Additionally, some automatics did NOT come with the clutch stop - my yellow car, for example. So that statement is not always true. The comment about the switch mount above the throttle is probably correct, however.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, as your 'local Z car expert' is only partly correct, at least concerning 71's.

The two wires mentioned in this thread do appear to be similar to a pair that run down to the left side of an automatic transmission. If that was really what they were, they would have been for the kick-down modulator, not the starter interlock, which is located on the right side of the transmission.

He only said that the pair of wires went to the transmission. I'm the one who (mistakenly) assumed they were for the interlock. He did also mention the extra part near the coil.

Thanks again Mike and Arne. I'll do some more hunting around my car to see if I see any other spare wires in the main harness where the washer wires originate.

I can tell you for certain that I do not have anything under my coil save for the ignition box.

One thing that lends creedence to a automatic to manual swap is that my tranny is an "A" series (I have a 1972 240z) built in May 1972. Then again, I also have what I believe to be a 1970/1971 engine as well (E31 head and metal fan).

Well, in that case look in the transmission tunnel on the other side. A manual transmission wiring harness will have a single pair of wires there, connecting to the reverse light switch. An automatic harness will have a second pair down in there, that will have had to have been spliced together somehow.

So if your car has only two wires exiting the bundle on the right side of the transmission, it is a manual transmission harness. If there are four wires down there, it is an automatic harness, which would totally explain the wires that started this thread.

Ding ding ding, I do believe we have a winner folks. The reverse switch wires are paired with, you nailed it, a pair of wires which were spliced together using a jumper wire that has bullet female connectors on either end.

My car does not have the kickdown switch at the top of the accelerator arm and has the clutch stop.

Very nicely done Holmes, very nicely done.

So I guess my car started out originally as an automatic. Wow, I am learning more and more about my car every day it seems.

I should be able to clip and seal off those extraneous wires that are paired with the washer wires, correct?

I should be able to clip and seal off those extraneous wires that are paired with the washer wires, correct?

I do not think I would cut them off but, I would neatly tie them into the bundle. You may find a use for them later. If you were to look under your dash and around your car there are wires stowed all over. Fog light wires, fuel pump wiring with or without the electric pump, air conditioning wires. The list goes on and on.

Besides how were you able to get the information that this was an automatic harness those extra wires.

Just my thoughts and experience on this kind of wiring.

While you remember NOW, after having had a lengthy discussion as to what it might be, in a few months or even a few years, it might not be the same.

I'd suggest as Jim said, tie them up neatly, apply a label to remind you down the road (it also helps when you're trying to USE the wire later) and put them away. If anyone sees them, it's because they're inside and personal with your car.

But just to give you an idea as to what you might use them for: Alarm System - whether the pin for the hood, or the siren; power leads for an up-to-date stereo that requires an un-switched power supply for the radio/clock settings; relay connections for ...high power fog-lamps, or air-horn, or passing light relay.

Wire is wire (within limits), and as long as you don't exceed the wire's rating/capacity and it is NOT hooked up to extreneous circuitry, it's wire. Sometimes the hardest part about adding on aftermarket accessories is the routing of the wires.

2¢

E