IGNORED

Besides the washer fluid pump, what else gets power on the drivers side?

ktm

I have two pairs of leads by the brake booster. One set is for the washer fluid pump, but I have no idea what the second set is for. I personally removed the tank for now and disconnected the first pair of wires, but I am trying to find out what the second set is for.

Any idea?

I'm not aware of another pair of wires. There is a single wire that goes to the "brake line pressure differential warning switch". This causes the red lamp that you normally only see with the parking brake on to illuminate. It indicates a difference in pressure between the front and rear brake systems. You'll sometimes see it trigger when the brake fluid is low.

The wire has a bullet connector and plugs in to the switch which is mounted on the inner fender about 6 inches below the master cylinder. Look between the front master cylinder reservoir cap and the air cleaner. The top center connector is where the wire plugs in. All of the other lines going to that unit are hydraulic brake lines.

What about the wires to the coil (blk/wht) and dizzy (blk), or the original ballast resistor (grn/wht & blk/wht)? they shouldn't stretch quite as far back as the MC but they do terminate on the driver's side.
True, but they come from the other direction. The ignition wires come from the harness after it crosses under the radiator. The wires for the washer pump and brake warning light come across the firewall.
  • Like 1

I actually have another pair of wires running over there in addition to the brake warning light wire (whichs is still connected) and the washer pump wires.

Can you post a picture? I'm wondering if it's for something aftermarket like an alarm system. I don't think it's stock at this point.

I actually have another pair of wires running over there in addition to the brake warning light wire (whichs is still connected) and the washer pump wires.
Is or was your car by chance an automatic? I just remembered that there are a pair of wires that run down into the tunnel on automatics that connect to the kickdown switch (or whatever that switch is) on the transmission. When I converted my yellow car to a four speed, I tucked those two wires up along the harness and they ended right behind the washer tank.

I'll post a picture tonight.

Arne, I have no idea if my car was an automatic as I bought it with a 4-speed.

MikeW, given the state of the wires and the connectors on the end, I am led to believe that the wires are stock. The previous owners that messed around with the harnesses did not care about neatly wrapping the wires in electrical tape or using connectors. I spent a little time last night remove poor, exposed splices and re-splicing with butt-connectors and re-taping.

It's not clear from your description but I assume that you're trying to figure out the two wires that enter from the right center and end on top of the fender. The other wires shown resting on the master cylinder cap match what I expect. The Black and Black/Yellow wires clearly are for the washer pump and the third wire is already connected to the previously mentioned brake switch. On my car (also 1972) those three wires are included in a single harness that comes through the firewall beneath the battery (along with other wires) and runs up and across the firewall at the very top near the hood.

What's not obvious to me from your description or photo is where the other two wires are coming from. Are they part of the same harness as the others? Also, what colors are the wires themselves? That should give us a clue.