IGNORED

Different Drive Shaft Lengths?

Marty Rogan

Hi Marty:

The rear end was set back 35mm or 1.37 inch for the Series III cars (1972 Model Year). If you set your rear end back, or if you install an R200 you'll need the longer drive shaft.

You may be getting a clunk where you had none before - because that L28 is a huge increase in low end torque... Check the torque on the bolts, that are on the studs that mount the rear end to the mustache bar. The re-torque the nuts that mount the mustache bar to the subframe. If either of these are slightly loose.. you'll hear the rear end move...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I still have the original diff in there for now, till I can locate a better one (looking for a 4.11: 3.90 or 3.70 R180 LSD). I didn't move it back either, so it sounds like the drive shaft length is ok.

I hear you on the increase in torque, I love it!! That is one of the first things I did was to re-torque all the bolts. I'll check it again. The U-joints are new, the front diff mount is new, and I have checked the bolts. Sounds like the only thing I have not checked yet is the nose strap. Is there a test to perform to know if that is good?

By the way, I get the clunk when taking off and shifting gears.

Marty