IGNORED

2008 Z Looks more like early ?

Mike

Not calling it a Z just wouldn't seem right. And IMO the ZX was never the sports car it should have been. On the other hand the fender badges look good and changing those god awful barn door handles looks like an even better idea to me. I may have to wait another year, but this could be worth it.

The whole project should have been the 350F...UGLY!

I agree, when the designers wanted to start a new project they should have started a new name, chapter, (roll), and left the Z in a class without frogs. Instead they chose to link a beautiful groundbreaking car(in its day) with original reviews to a marketing machine with contrived links to the original car-the whole thing was a serious case of over promise lineage and don't deliver. Much like ordering a pizza and getting a fillet-o-fish sandwich-both have bread, some kind of sause, and a meat of sorts, they are both food, but not of a similar type . A car that looks like an AUDI TT looks too little like a 240Z to be related. Here they have a "do over" just like ion grade school-lets see if they need another one...or they finally graduate.

WIll

All I have to say is this, if they built them to look like the originals, then there would be even less of a market for the old ones then there already is. I love the 70-73 cars, I own a 73, but I wouldn't want a 2008 240 lookalike. The late 70's early 80's ZX's were hideous in my opinion and they still kinda had the look of the 240-280Z. I think the 350Z could use a nicer front end, but I still love the car. A dealership let me have one last year for almost two weeks before I took it back, and it was the best two weeks of my life. Unfortunately I wasn't ready to fork over 30K. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that was just my opinion. I respect everyone elses just the same.

Rick

i feel very strongly the 240z has a market new, used, restored, refabed with a new fi inline 6 or even a turbo diesle.

the new mini, charger, bettle, rx 8 or even the revamped ford gt 40 proves in my opinion the stellar cars of yesterday can and will continue to be brought back to the market with new standards in safety, fuel and comfort.

the full line of z cars are the most popular sports car by volume against any sports car line ever produced.

i would have thought it the first choice to remake as a classic styled new version long before the cars listed above.

cd

so if you bulid it nissan, i will come

i celebrate in advance the 2010 nissan 240z

i feel very strongly the 240z has a market new, used, restored, refabed with a new fi inline 6 or even a turbo diesle.

the new mini, charger, bettle, rx 8 or even the revamped ford gt 40 proves in my opinion the stellar cars of yesterday can and will continue to be brought back to the market with new standards in safety, fuel and comfort.

the full line of z cars are the most popular sports car by volume against any sports car line ever produced.

i would have thought it the first choice to remake as a classic styled new version long before the cars listed above.

cd

so if you bulid it nissan, i will come

i celebrate in advance the 2010 nissan 240z

What you said!

WIll

I love the Z33. I think of it less as a toad than I do the S30 an arrow. I see a styling interpretation in the new Z that reminds me of the S30. Enough that I am satisfied that it's a Z. I've driven the new Z in anger and it drives a lot better than my queen. (Ya' know, when she actually ran!) I really like the BMW Z4, own and drive a 330Ci daily, and that's the "GT" body style that attracts me to the Z car. The BMW Z4 has those swoopy front fender lines reminiscent of the early BMW sports cars. I like that rear hatch thing. But lets face it. The S30 is an aerodynamic nightmare and the Z33 is what contemporary performance cars look like. Cars today are ground suckers, not wind surfers. The toad thing you guys are talking about is from the short overhang which was done on purpose. The fender corners were rounded in on purpose to accentuate the short overhang. Thus "Toad", or more politely expressed, "Stop-Light Leaper".

Someone mentioned the ZG and it brought this car to mind. This is another one of those instances where we Americans don't know much about this because it was never exported here. This is the Z33 Type E which was apparently built to homologate the body used for the championship JGTC GT500 race cars. It is very similar to the S-Tune options and I believe this was produced in 2003. The car is featured in the Motor Magazine Mook; "All About Fairlady".

post-4148-14150798606422_thumb.jpg

I just don't see any more connection between a 350Z and an S30 than I do an Audi TT and an S30, though from the side, and considered completely by itself, the new bump on the hood does resemble the bulge on an S30s hood.

Chris,

I don't interpret anything on a 350 as reminding me of an S30 as much as it reminds me of a Murano-and I gotta say nothing on a Murano reminds me of a S30! Granted I don't have your design training, and I am not in a related business, but if the styling interpretation grade is made on the same scale with the new Mustang, Nissans designers failed miserably.

Anytime I can strip the badges and scripts of a pair of cars and not see the lineage development, and stump a younger car guy what they might be,(as in related) there is no continuity of design to bear witness to the "relationship."