Rocker jack points on My car:

front: 8.75"

rear : 8.5"

(both sides are the same)

Wheel arch heights:

frt: 15.25"

Rr: 15.75

(both sides are the same)

I have no idea what springs are on it- probably oem.

I don't really care to measure the wheel arch heights because finding the center of the wheel hub isn't exact, unless it's marked on there. You could be up to 1/4 inch off.

I just measured my car. From the jack points on the framerails. Front = 5 1/4 Rear = 5 5/8.

Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to find out who made my springs. I only know that they are powdercoated blue with no other distinct markings.

Hi Ed (everyone):

We had this discussion some time ago, in another thread. I recorded the information everyone reported then, and I'm trying to add any additional data I can from this thread.

"Ride Height" as reported by Nissan for our US Spec. 240-Z's was measured from the front part of the frame rails, just behind the point at which they meet the floorboards. In stock form that is the lowest point to the ground and that is supposed to be 6.34 inches (161mm).

However - given that point can be and in all to many cases is - damaged or bent up... we were using the more consistent measurement points from the bottom of the rocker panel to the ground at the front and rear jacking points. (bottom of the ROCKER - NOT the bottom of the pinch weld under it. The pinch weld sticks down about an inch farther).

STOCK at those points on the bottom of the rocker panel - is 8 1/2" front and rear for the 240-Z. I believe that the 73 and forward to 78 Z's sat about 1/4 inch higher to meet the 73-78 bumper height standards for the US. (still trying to verify that....)

Where it was reported, I also noted everyone's wheel/tire combinations...

From the reported data - it would seem that the newer High Pressure Gas Shocks rise the ride height between 1/2 and 1 inch. A 1 1/2 inch lift has been reported....

So... back to Ed's original question....

Ed.. if you actually measured the distance from the frame rails, just behind the point at which they meed the floorboards to the ground - and that is 5 1/4 inch, it would seem that your car is sitting about 1 inch lower than stock. (if your running close to stock tire/wheel sizes). Most of the earlier "performance springs" for the 240-Z claimed that they lowered the car between 3/4 and 1 inch.... so that sounds normal.

HOWEVER - you said "jack points on the framerails"...... There are no jack points on the frame rails, but there are places where jack stands can be safely placed. On the front frame rail that would be just under the point at which the compression rod meets the frame rail... and that point would be a couple inches higher.... so I hope you didn't mean that...

There is no way I know of - to determine who make/sold your springs. At best some people might guess based on their "blue" coatings.... On top of that, even if you knew who made them, it is unlikely that you would be able to find out what the original spring rate was.... as many re-sellers didn't provide that specific data about the springs to begin with.

FWIW,

Carl

My car's specs are in my sig. Here is what mine measures:

Bottom of pinch flange at jack points to ground:

Front 6-7/8"

Rear 7"

Center of wheel to outermost, lower edge of fender lip:

Front 13-7/8"

Rear 14"

Jeff - add about 1 inch to your measurements - to get to the bottom of the rocker panel - as I recall the pinch weld is about 1 inch lower than the bottom of the rocker panel..

TomoHawk is measuring to the bottom of the rocker panel....

FWIW,

Carl B.

• 3 weeks later...