IGNORED

What is the worst part of this club

hls30.com

What is the worst thing about this club experience?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. What is the worst thing about this club experience?

• Spam posts (ADS for sex, drugs and Rock and Roll-well, iPods)!
    • Thread Hijacking!
    • Membership criteria-too easy to be a member
    • Cross reference of the search engine(Hard to find the right threads sometimes)
    • Improper use of threads-posting 240Z guestions in a 240k forum.
    • Withdrawl when the site occasionally goes down
    • My typing skills-or yours!
    • Having to wait for posted pictures to be approved
    • Typing an answer to a post at the same time someone else is
    • Not having the "Shout" feature.
    • Not having a "Chat" feature.
    • Limitations in uploadable files (size,type, quantity, content in the boobs thread!)
    • Not being able to thump someone in the head across the internet.
    • Not being able to share a cold(or warm) drink across the internet
    • These freakin' polls!

Well I will chime in on this topic. I am sorta new to the Z world. I have found that this site sort of sticks their nose up when you have a ZX, mind you not all of the folks, but enough to make you feel like why look here. Now mind you this is my point of view.

I guess my biggest problem is the spammers, & it's at best a minor annoyance. Actually, I like to email them & agree to buy a bunch of stuff if they'll send me a picture of themselves holding a sign. Pretty juvenile I suppose.

I often visit a particular political blog. All new members have their first post held until they are read & approved by the site admin, much like the pictures here. None of those spam postings appear there but then again, it's more work for those in charge.

Well I will chime in on this topic. I am sorta new to the Z world. I have found that this site sort of sticks their nose up when you have a ZX ...

I think you need to keep in mind that this site was started for the S30 models (240Z, 260Z and 280Z). The 240K was added as a kind of cousin that shared a lot of mechanical components with the others. In fact, in the car forums there are only 3 sub-forums:

S30 Z Series - 240z, 260z, 280z

Zcar Conversions & Aftermarket

Datsun 240K

I would actually prefer it if there were a 280ZX forum as well.

Well I will chime in on this topic. I am sorta new to the Z world. I have found that this site sort of sticks their nose up when you have a ZX, mind you not all of the folks, but enough to make you feel like why look here. Now mind you this is my point of view.

Wow, I'm a bit surprised to read that, and dissapointed that we've given you that impression. The only criticism I've seen about the ZXs is that since they're heavier than the earlier cars, it's harder to make them go faster and handle better. But that criticism can be leveled at almost every sports car line as they mature. The later ones almost always gain weight (notable exceptions being the Miata and Corvette.) And with the weight came a much more refined and comfortable ride. Not a bad thing on a long trip.

Ironic note: as an owner of an earlier Z, one of the best things I did was swap in the drive train from a ZX :)

I've always felt that one of the special things about the Zs is that they appeal to such a broad range of drivers, from people who are performance oriented, to those who want a responsive, safe, and fun car to drive. I see this site reflecting ALL those views and more.

I'd ask you to hang in there and give it a chance. And if one of us puts our nose in the air, call us on it!

Now if you had a Z, and not something made after '78...

Seriously, some people look at Zxs as a rolling drive line swap, some people look at them as a relic from the Disco era, I look at them as the only newer Z to share styling cues and parts with the S30. They are different cars, but close enough to know they are related. If somehow my nose appears up in the air over your ZX, it certianly shouldn't appear that way, The only running Z I have at the moment is an "82 ZX, it has Eibach springs, Koni Shocks, New leather on the seats, New carpet, a new sterio, and Magnecore wires-all I sprung for! Not what you do to a car you consider inferior. BTW, Have you got an '83 FSM?

WIll

Whew41: I'm posting our exchange via PM's so that you can see that it isn't just my viewpoint, but that others share it as well:

Sorry that you feel slighted, but the honest truth is that there are very few ZX owners on the board ... period ... and even they don't pop in very often.

The vast majority of the club has the 70-73 Z, a smattering of 260's and a couple handful's of 280's. They share many of the same things all through those years, or are similar enough to be able to ~work it out~.

Stick around, more and more ZX owner's are joining us, and we hope that we can then have the same wealth of knowledge for them as we do for the earlier series of Z's.

Enrique

Well thank you for your comments. I am still looking at this site but not as often as I have been. I now visit Zcar more then here....I can understand that this site is mainly for the older Z"s , but in my eyes it is down right rude to tell ZX onwers to go look some where else and that is why I made the comment that I made..Granted there are good folks on here as well...Thank you....Jim
A couple of years ago, nobody would have posted anything...period.

After all, not knowing what to answer, many would simply not reply at all. Which ended up with our being called rude and snobbish because as a group we wouldn't post that we didn't know.

So now rather than have you feel as if you're being ignored or snubbed, someone pointed out where you might best find the answer to your question(s), which unfortunately for everyone, wasn't here.

So you see, it's a double edged sword....if we don't reply...we're "ignoring" the person. If we reply that the answer isn't here...we're being "rude" by telling them to go to where they might find their answer.

How would you have answered it?

E

I have to agree with Escalon. I can not help you in my knowledge base is early early stuff. So, rather then post bad information or my opinion I just let the ZX stuff go. Not to say the cars aren't nice. I just can not help you with something I have no knowledge, books, or diagrams as references.

Call it rude if you want but, I won't send you down a road on I think.

Worst thing about this place is that it is addictive. For a while there I was only coming here every other day or so but now I'm back again. Since my resto is somewhat still in limbo, I have very little to offer in the way of advise. Hopefully that will change one day and soon, as I'm sure most members agree that knowledge on these cars comes from dirty hands.

It is a crying shame that some members choose to no longer post here or on any zed related sites. The wealth of knowledge that is gone is sadly missed and maybe one day they may return to again help us out.

Maybe a ZX forum would be a good idea to appease those ZX owners. But I agree with Enrique, how can we offer support if we don't know ourselves. But there have been exhaustive discussions about that subject as well. In fact, most subjects have been thrashed out many many times and will again.

Even my knowlege base which is basically 280Z with a touch of 810 leaves me with much to learn about the ZX. A member asked a question recently about setting the mixture on a ZXT air flow meter. Figuring it was the similar to a 280Z. I scanned diagrams and wrote a short post about the subject. WRONG!! A ZXT afm is totally different as I came to find out. So that makes me reluctant to answer questions specific to the ZX. I have a hell of a lot of experience with the EFI system on a 280Z and even on an 810. But I don't know what of that applies to a ZX or a ZXT and what doesn't. I'm not trying to snub anyone nor do I have my nose up towards them. I just don't feel comfortable answering questions about them due to the differences.

I don't see what the ho-ha about the ZX is anyway.

This site was established for S-30 owners, not HS130 owners.

Why should they try to hi-jack it?

Granted they have no where else to go, but that doesn't stop them from gleaning information about the excellence of the S-30 from the many threads contained herein, rather than trying to stick up someones nose.

Comments like the one posted by whew41 do the ZX cause no favours....

Besides, we've been through this before and will most likely go through it again. I say learn what you can learn here. I don't technical questions about my 810 or my 64 320 pickup here but, then again, I don't really ask technical questions anyway. But, I digress. A ZX is not an 'early and original Datsun Z car' as stated in the club welcome on the front page. No one is trying to snub anyone here. It's just that when you ask questions about vehicles that aren't generally covered on a site, you shouldn't expect a landslide of answers to questions like 'how do you decipher the VIN code on a 1980 280ZX?' Pardon me but, 'who the hell cares?' We need to just let this thing go before it gets out of hand (again).

I don't think it's a case of Who Cares ?, as much as Who Knows ?.

As has been pointed out time and again. When a question is posted regarding a ZX, and nobody answers, it seems a safe bet that nobody KNOWS THE ANSWER. Or should we just make something up and hope no one knows the difference????????????

Enough said on this subject, let's get back to the ORIGINAL question.

Rick.

:devious: :devious: