IGNORED

Whats in you "Emergency Toolkit"?

moonpup

A 169-piece metric cell phone?

Using "a cell phone" for repairs or service for your vehicle is about the alowest way to get something done. A case-in-point would be last weekend at the drive-in theatre. The luxury mini-van parked next to me had a dead battery about 1/2 way through the first movie. the guy called his auto club, and he told me he would have to wait several hours until both movies were finished before a tow truck could arrive to give help. I loaned him my booster cables, and he got a boost from a friend with another luxury car (he thought the luxo-mobile's "bigger battery" would charge his faster...

I quess the point here is to keep your Z in top running order and you won't need any tools when your out and about. Sorry Tomohawk, but thats just my perspective on the subject!

My take is I would rather be the one doing the repairing or loading than the jack of all cars, master of none, that the lowest bidder on the service to the autoclub got cheep without checking references because of the turnover in just over a minimum wage job. At least around here.

I really don't want a somone who i didn't choose even hauling my Z. The last and only time I had a Z towed it was my blue 2+2 which blew a two week old radiator hose at 85mph on I-16 about 2 miles from the turn off for Metter. GA. at 10.34pm. I had AAAplus(at that time upto 100 miles free towing and road side assistance). After walking a mile or so in the rain to the next ramp and calling no less than six times from the station during my 4 hour and 53 minute wait, the roll back picked up the car first, before getting me, and in the process tore off my front air dam, flatspotted my tires, and destroyed my rear valence, a bumper shock, and mutilated two of the three pieces of rubber filler on a '76 rear bumper. I thought someone had hit my car as it sat by the side of the road when I first saw it on the truck when the driver came to get me.

We won't get into what happened next because my blood is beginning to boil now. Anyway, I will not allow a repeat of that painful and expensive situation.

Will

two thoughts-

1. Cell phones can have dead batteries, just like cars.

2. Cell phone coverage is by no means nationwide-no matter what the cell phone companies say.

Having a car club membership has its uses, mine (which came with the phone) can get me a jump (not yet needed), a tow (which I've used) and a bit of gas (which I may need someday).

The way I see it, having a membership in an auto club is just another tool to keep available. I'm not saying that it should be used every time, but there are times where it is useful.

IMO

Will, we were typing at the same time, so let me offer my condolenses on the damage!

Idiots come in all shapes and sizes, unfortunatly, some of them drive tow trucks.

tire chock(s)

***flares

water bag (min. 2 gallon)

*water prification pills

*(P)food (sealed) (buy fresh)

power bars

Pop Tarts

Bug juice mix?

first aid kit

help sign

fan belts(s)

tire repair tool/patches

* can of fix-A-flat

pvc tape

Hose clamps(size(?)

8mm: f.i. type

2 1/2 inch: radiator

cable-ties

rags/shop towels

matches/lighter

lightstick(s)

rubbing compound

(P)A.P. paper

***tow rope/belt

$1 in coins

***road triangle(s) 11"

***jumper cables (8ft. min)

flashlight

strobe light

bungee cord(s)

poncho

work gloves

bandana

whistle

rope

Tire pressure gauge

12 volt air pump

Vasoline (tube)

knee pad

qt. of oil

can of DOT3 brake fluid

plastic trash bag, Medium

fuses

*Reversable screwdriver

hobby scissors

multi-function knife

space blanket

==========================

*Optional

*** minimum

(P)pack in with clothes

Didn't you forget the two grilled cheese sandwiches, 3 rubber bands, a paper clip, half a cork, and a chewed peice of bubble gum including the wrapper???

Will, we were typing at the same time, so let me offer my condolenses on the damage!

Idiots come in all shapes and sizes, unfortunatly, some of them drive tow trucks.

Thanks,

This was years ago, the car is gone, but the memories and anger linger....

As apparently do the bidding and hiring practices....

Willl

Tomohawk,

No wonder you don't have a girlfriend anymore-there's no room!

Just kidding, I have been to Ohio, and I understand. I drove from Dayton to the Cincinatti Airport in a rainstorm so bad, I pulled off, missed my flight and witnessed three wrecks-at least one of which was fatal-with so many drivers with more confidence than good sence and respect for others, it stands to reason you are on your own! Obviously not everone in Ohio has these issues.

WIll

Righto, my turn to chime in, it's been a while!

In order of importance

1. Cell phone (yes, fully charged. You can buy those emergency throw away battery packs for most phones now, so you can feel a bit safer just in case your car battery is completely flat. Maybe you should buy a second battery changer for your phone and keep it your zed).

2. Road side breakdown cover.

3. Fan belt.

4. Spare set of points (or at least a nail file so you can resurface the old one)

5. Self amalgamating tape (for sealing those hose leaks)

6. Duct tape (for what 4 can't fix)

7. A few ring spanners typical zed sizes. Basic socket set.

8. Pliers (needle nose preferred)

9. Small vice grips

To me a breakdown kit should include everything you would need for you "at your skill level" to be able to get the car going again.

If you are going on a drive where cell phone coverage is nil and you are very concerned about safety, getting home that day, or whatever, then make sure that you have another car with you and a tow rope. Better than that just make sure that your car is in a condition worthy of such a trip.

Over and out!

To me a breakdown kit should include everything you would need for you "at your skill level" to be able to get the car going again.
I think that's the best advice to give to somebody assembling a tool kit. It's not a bad thing to overpack, but then I think you would have the potential to pick the wrong tool to fix something, or to fix something you're better off having help with. It's best to travel in groups, if possible. More fun too. :)

While we're at it, should we also discuss first Aid kits? or do you think anything would work fine for that, or go with what the Red Cross suggests? Your personal skill with first aid is probably an inportant factor here also. That and where you are going/what the event is, should dictate the contents of the kit (i.e. road racing vs. a country tour).

Always have a gallon jug of water with you.

thx

Good call on the first aid kits, luckily, stores of all shapes (especially the Big Box stores) have excellent prepackaged, sterile & complete units for purchase in convenient carry cases (and they're not that expensive, either!).