IGNORED

Whats in you "Emergency Toolkit"?

moonpup

Originally posted by: zbane

2. You must get a little "emergency" toolkit to keep in the car. (I keep mine with the spare tire)

Thought I'd see what everyone else carried with them.

I keep mine in this very sturdy "army surplus" canvas bag. It holds alot and the canvas doesn't scratch or mark up the interior. I carry this many tools because it's both for emergencies and my junkyard raids. It fits nicely behind the passenger seat.

post-10534-14150798244066_thumb.jpg

I would expect to see things like spares (fuel filter, fuses, distributor cap, rotor, belts, etc.) along with things to fix wiring problems (multimeter, spare wire, connectors). Don't forget some duct tape. I can't picture very many roadside situations where you'd actually need to use a lot of the heavier tools that you carry for junkyard visits.

Perhaps in addition to a list of emergency tools we need a list of actual incidents where something went wrong and you were able to fix it on the side of the road. My only successes have been related to the fuel filter getting clogged and an electrical problem where the battery was not charging and I was trying to drive after dark. 20 years ago I had the U-joint nuts come loose at the front of the driveshaft and I could have fixed it on the side of the road but had no idea that was the problem so I got someone to tow me.

Originally posted by: MikeW

I would expect to see things like spares (fuel filter, fuses, distributor cap, rotor, belts, etc.) along with things to fix wiring problems (multimeter, spare wire, connectors). Don't forget some duct tape. I can't picture very many roadside situations where you'd actually need to use a lot of the heavier tools that you carry for junkyard visits.

I absolutely agree with you. Those are indeed very necessary items, I just keep those in the tool bins under the deck carpet.

Good clear pic of a great tool kit there Moonpup.

I thought Tomohawk had initiated a thread in a similar vein some time ago but I have searched and cannot find it - Tomo, are you out there? From memory we never got to the stage of clarifying the contents of an emergency kit but I though the discussion got to a point where the distances to be travelled, the environment, location, knowledge of the owner etc were all relevant factors. Some carried an Auto Club card and a cell phone while others carried varying amounts of tools and spares.

I am very interested to hear what others carry as it is about time I got this right in my own mind.

Yep, I got a list of things for most on-the-road repairs. I created the list keeping in mind longish (100+ miles) road trips to places or if just travelling away from your own area. Even though some insisted that an auto club card and a phone are ALL that you need, I don't think it is reasonable to have to wait hours for a repair person to find you (if he comes at all) and then do or help with a repair- both which have high rates YOU must pay "on the spot.")

The idea was good especially when travelling in groups. The parts could be divided up between cars, and you have more people on the spot immediately, and you can have more of certain supplies- like first aid stuff. Also especially good because some people prefer to not replace certain things which can break down (exhaust, rad & fuel hoses, etc. so just having certain things in the car will get you to a service place where you can fix things propely to get on with travel.

Keep in mind some things you'd see on a wilderness survival show, but I thought them small enough or important enough that it just might save your life in a REAL emergency. Also, somthings (like snacks, batteries, radios, etc.) I'll keep in front with me in my personal travel tub.) And some things (chocks, jumper cables) stay in the car all the time. I gave a jump to a guy last night at the drive-in theater (American Graffiti was on), (or he had to wait till ALL the movies ended at 2am for a tow truck. :devious: )

Remember that this list is kinda comprehensive, so some items might be omitted, depending on how 'remote' your destination is or passes through.

I

think it would be important enough to develop a list of spares (like fuses & bulbs) to carry in the car at all times. This might be specfic to each model of Z.

Royblunda-

I didn't post this list last year because most people didn't seem serious about the idea ("all I need is a AAA card, a phone and a 45 Auto.") I'm not trying to force people to carry the stuff, but with all these people & experiences, we should have been able to make up a good kit. :rolleyes:

tire chock(s)

***flares

water bag (min. 2 gallon)

*water prification pills

*(P)food (sealed) (buy fresh)

power bars

Pop Tarts

Bug juice mix?

first aid kit

help sign

fan belts(s)

tire repair tool/patches

* can of fix-A-flat

pvc tape

Hose clamps(size(?)

8mm: f.i. type

2 1/2 inch: radiator

cable-ties

rags/shop towels

matches/lighter

lightstick(s)

rubbing compound

(P)A.P. paper

***tow rope/belt

$1 in coins

***road triangle(s) 11"

***jumper cables (8ft. min)

flashlight

strobe light

bungee cord(s)

poncho

work gloves

bandana

whistle

rope

Tire pressure gauge

12 volt air pump

Vasoline (tube)

knee pad

qt. of oil

can of DOT3 brake fluid

plastic trash bag, Medium

fuses

*Reversable screwdriver

hobby scissors

multi-function knife

space blanket

==========================

*Optional

*** minimum

(P)pack in with clothes

Does anyone have there original tire change tool kit all intact?

I do, and my tire chocks and nuts are still in their original sealed package. I also have the Tire Inflator Canister, still full! And of course the space saver spare and jack.

I do plan on getting a mechanics tool set for when my Z is finally on the road, but it's good to know what others stash under there deck lid so I can be prepared.

My original thought was what does everyone carry with them for those unexpected mechanical breakdowns, such as the one that KenshinX's father encontered recently.

Of course long extended trips through remote desolate areas where nearby help is a long shot, survival items should be taken without question.

I look foward to seeing everyones thoughts for either situation.

Edit: Tomo, you forgot toilet paper! (or is that what the rubbing compound was for? :P )

I have two sets, the first is always in the car, the second is for long trips only,

Kit #1

3/8" stubby socket driver

1/4, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 16mm, 17mm, and 13/16" sockets

1/4" phillips and straight screwdriver bits in standard and 6" lengths

a partial roll of electrical tape

a partial roll of 2" wide stainless steel hvac tape

A pair of 4' 16 gage testleads (used with a side marker to make a test light)

a 6' rool of 10 gage wire

a small bag of used bolts

a shake to use flashlight

Two Snap to use light sticks-one red, one white

2' for efi fuel hose

2' of spiral lined radiator hose

several pairs of Tiewraps from 6" to 4'

a "Wave" multitool

yhree full sized towels(usually over the seats)

magnifying glass

a package of Bandaids with neosporin already in them

a package of antibiotic general purpose wipes.

a pair of leather metalworking gloves

a pad of paper

a writing utinsil

a plastic drum liner

a fully stocked diaper bag

Kit #2

Tire patch kit

Powerecell/air compressor

GPS

solar and cig lighter battery charger/eliminator

A loaded Camelback

3 space blankets