IGNORED

Going to Japan, need things to do.

xxjoeyxxeb

Hey guys,

I will be going to Japan March of 2007. We will be flying into Tokyo, and doing most things around there, and "electronics city", and whatever else.

I am wondering if anyone knows car things to do around there. If anyone know of places to find where shows, races, drifting, or any museums to go to. It will be the last week of March. Also, anything else thats great to do, let me know. I'll have a week.

thanks,

Joe

You have to be careful with how much you plan to bring back, you're only allowed to carry back up to a certain amount worth of goods. The rest need to be internationally shipped over so customs can inspect them. I had a buddy go over and buy a few new cameras for people and he had to have a shipping company box up everything else he had because we was over-limit.

You should be able to ask the airline or a travel agent about the restrictions.

You've got eight months to save as much cash as possible.

If I were in your position, I would open an online bank account (INGdirect or HSBC) and start saving there. Online CD accounts and basic saving accounts offer much better interest rates than your local bank does. Another benefit of online banking is the complete lack of service fees or minimum opening amounts. I'm not trying to sell you on any service, just pointing out something that I have found useful.

Yes, I know about the planes and shipping. I'm not worrying too much tho, cuz I'm already a poor college student and I wont have much money to spare... especially since Ill be starting on my bodywork soon....

Zbane, thanks for the idea, I will look into it.

Nostalgic Hero and Old Timer car magazines have all the latest on car shows, etc in Japan. In Japanese, of course, but still. Check their web sites as well. Remember, Japanese electrical current is 100v, 50 hz - so be careful of what you buy in Akihabara. You may need to buy a step-up transformer. Most of tha latest electronics have built in voltage changers, but best to beware. There are a lot of things to do in Tokyo. Buy a good guide book now and start planning.

I have one "better" idea...

Contact KATS a member on this board, and ask HIM if there are any parts that you could bring to him that you could bring as a tourist to Japan. Sometimes this is an advantageous way of getting items into your country. While you're exchanging the parts, he might be able to show you around better areas of Tokyo than those you would see as a tourist.

I'm sure he'd be thrilled to get some items from here that he might have a hard time getting there and vice versa.

2¢

Enrique

There is a Nissan HQ building in Ginza that usually has a couple of cars on display. Most Westerners hang out in Roppongi at night, lots of night clubs etc. It's expensive to go out though, you'll be blown away just walking around Ginza, Akihabara, Ueno, Shinjuku or Shibuya, there's a lot to absorb. The Japanese equivalent of the Smithsonian museums is near the Ueno train station, there's a huge zoo there too. You could go to the main Tokyo station which isn't too far from the Imperial Palace garden where you can walk around. As for car places, you'd have to do some research. I know theres a place in Yokosuka or Yokohama that has a couple of Skylines sitting around but that's about it. If you go to the Nostalgic Heros website, I think their car show schedule is posted on there. you may get lucky and catch one, or the Spring Sagamiko Z car gathering west of Tokyo about an hour by train.