IGNORED

Z etiquette

zbane

Imagine the following scenario:

You’re driving your import-Z(X), Skyline, MG, Mini, Austin, Fiat, etc. (whatever rare beauty you have) and you see another of like make (maybe not the same year/model, but part of the family nonetheless) and you honk and wave at it-I do whenever I can. It’s nice to recognize good taste, I think.

Unfortunately, Chances to recognize fellow Classic Z drivers have been very few (2 since January, ’06) in my area so I’ve been trying to show recognition towards the later models.

Here is what I have noticed-300zx drivers reciprocate and acknowledge our vehicular kinship.

350 DRIVERS DO NOT (with one exception, but he’s a friend of mine).

Does this happen to anyone else, or is it just me?

The same thing happens when I drive the BMW, but that is to be expected around here-all the BMW drivers in my area are stinking rich (except for me).

Annoying as their snubs are, I will continue. All it takes is for one person to smile and/or wave back to make it worth it.

So if you see a red ZX waving, it might just be me saying hello-nice car…

david

Yes, this happens all of the time.... Those not of the "old school" have not adopted the practice. Don't give up; they can learn (maybe). Keep in mind that this practice goes back to the day whan the American car was king, and there were but few imports. Personally, I find it difficult to pick the newer 'classics' out of the pack.

Driving my 240Z, I always waved whether it be a 240Z, 280ZX, 300ZX or 350Z. Seldom did I get a wave back. Only once did a Z32 driver recognise me - he pulled up next to me at the lights and waved frantically to wind down my window. He was very excited to see the car. Great feeling! I pulled up next to a silver Z33 soon after they were released - I was excited at the thought that perhaps the driver would be interested... nope. Didn't even look over. He knew I was there. Oh well, his loss.

Now that I drive a "Skyline" - I get the same with late-model Skyline drivers. Hardly any R33 or R34 drivers even look - but when they do you can usually read their lips - "What the ....." C210 drivers seriously have no idea. It's mostly the R32's that actually care... The few people that are interested are very interested and want a chat, which is fantastic. But unfortunately they are few and far between. Most people just want a drag race. A pity.

I've rolled up next to late model Land Rover/Range Rover owners and the typical response is nothing or "nice jeep". For Christ sake, it is pathetic when someone ignores or is just plain ignorant of the history of their vehicles. It seems to prevail in the upper class. It's the same for the 240Z too, especially from the 350Z drivers. The other side of this is I'm 47 and most people don't even know what the hell I'm driving because of their youth!

I still get the occasional "Nice ZX" comment.:angry::finger: But I agree with you that the 350Z owners are more interested in each other or something with "TURBO" painted on the fender or something like that.:( They always park together at a show/cruise, and spend the whole time looking under their bonnets or the instrument panel!

Sometimes I'm tempted to ask them to park with the other 'imports' so the Zs can park together ( with a comment on how a 350Z really isn't a 'Z.')

Another thing that's odd is how I'll see some classic American cars on the way to a cruise-in, and I'll toot & wave, but I usually get a look like "what is that? Oh, Not a classic car..."

The last time I got a toot specifically aimed at me was last Spring- from a guy in A Subaru WRX! I think it was a guy down the road with a 280Z for sale in the front yard.

Imagine the following scenario:

You’re driving your import-Z(X), Skyline, MG, Mini, Austin, Fiat, etc. (whatever rare beauty you have) and you see another of like make (maybe not the same year/model, but part of the family nonetheless) and you honk and wave at it-I do whenever I can. It’s nice to recognize good taste, I think.

Unfortunately, Chances to recognize fellow Classic Z drivers have been very few (2 since January, ’06) in my area so I’ve been trying to show recognition towards the later models.

Here is what I have noticed-300zx drivers reciprocate and acknowledge our vehicular kinship.

350 DRIVERS DO NOT (with one exception, but he’s a friend of mine).

Does this happen to anyone else, or is it just me?

Annoying as their snubs are, I will continue. All it takes is for one person to smile and/or wave back to make it worth it.

So if you see a red ZX waving, it might just be me saying hello-nice car…

david

If you were sitting in a frog(misbadged AudiTT-er 350Z) and a more beautiful, somewhat sexy car(You have a ZX and not a 240Z after all!)

waved at you wouldn't it remind you of your ugliness, spark your self conscious feelings, and chap your hiney? Driving a 350Z is not nearly the same as looking at one-great technology in a butt ugly frog shaped box! If I was driving one, I wouldn't make eye contact either-except in the rear view mirror-it is the only place a 350Z driver can save face! A 350z is a beautiful car-but only under its skin.

Along those lines, here is what happened to me:

A couple of years ago I drove my 240Z up to the Alltel office to discuss my bill, and parked right next to a new 350Z fresh from the Nissan lot! When I walked in, every person in their store commented on my car. Two fine ladies (schaawing!) walked out to my 240 to look at it.

The 350Z driver was in the Alltel office scratching his head-he had no clue what my car was(other than old), and to top off his pain, the ladies didn't even notice the factory sticker in his window! I guess it hurt to realize that having ugly on the street and a freak at the track just didn't cut it the eyes of of a pair fine females. He would take me at a light, but then the ladies would have been in my car and he would have been alone...

Will

post-4106-14150797960427_thumb.jpg

I've also noticed this trend (I wave to any Z car I see too) but this happens in alot of auto sport circles. For instance its a sort of rule that when your on a motorcycle and you see another motorcycle you give a wave or a nod or some sort of recognition. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE does this with one exception, Harley riders. Now not all of them do this, if you see some old guy on an ok condition sportster or something he'll probably wave, but a young(er) person on their chromed to the gills, wicked loud mid-life crisis toy will look straight ahead, tough guy look on their face and everything, and ignore you. Unless of course your on another $40K Harley.

But anyways keep it friendly out there and the people you would want to associate with will wave back. =)

And besides, theyre probably just jealous of your real Z car anyways LOL.

If you were sitting in a frog (misbadged AudiTT-er 350Z) and a more beautiful, somewhat sexy car(You have a ZX and not a 240Z after all!) waved at you wouldn't it remind you of your ugliness

Exactly. Take this picture for instance. You see Z33's, Z32's, a Z31 and even a G35. There's also two Mitsu 3000's and a RX-7 twin turbo. BUT, what do you see standing around the lone 240Z? A small crowd. Now the guy in the ballcap with the big Z on his back (Classic Z Car!) is me, but none the less I spent the afternoon entertaining questions and always had people around the car. The other Z's? Nobody seemed to care. LOL

FWIW,

Chris A.

post-5906-14150797960777_thumb.jpg