IGNORED

0 to 60 mph

Panamared

The "perfect gearing" will vary a lot depending on what the end goal of the car is. (It also must include tire size as a variable as well as transmission gear ratios and rear axle ratio.) The "perfect gearing" for daily driving will not be the same as the "perfect gearing" for auto-x, or for 0-60, or for... In fact, the "perfect gearing" for normal street driving will vary depending on the tastes of the driver.

FWIW - the "perfect gearing" for 0-60 would be whatever combination gets the car to be as near to peak power as possible in second gear as it gets to 60 MPH. You only want to shift once, and you want it pulling as hard as possible as you reach 60.

Olderthanme did. 280ZXT transmission is a Borg Warner T5 last time I checked.

Sorry Jon - he did not. He said "81-83" 280zxt... the only tranny that fits that bill is the A/T. T-5 was 82/83. {just wanted to see if you were paying attention ... <vbg>

regards,

Carl

I also found that my 72' 4-speed and 3:90 diff had a lot more torque than the 79' 5-speed with the same diff.

I also cruise at 60mph in 5th at only 2300 rpm's and 70mph is about 2700 rpms as well.

The 72' 4-speed with 3:90 diff gets about 3700 rpm at 60 mph and that sucks for gas milage but rocks for 1/4 mile and 0-60 times.