IGNORED

0 to 60 mph

Panamared

Probably this is a common thread but Im new into the Z world (as owner).

Whats the average time from 0 to 60 a Z can reach.

L24 with headers, electronic ignition system (crane xr3000 and ps 92coil and a triple weber. (my car) Or a similar set up.

This must be aprox since no car is the same as the other.

Thank You guys.

Mine used to be APROX. 3.2 minutes ROFL

But now I have a stage 2 cam, 6-into-1 header w/ 2 1/2" pipe thru a turbe (Raptor) muffler. MSD 6A, Mallory Unilite Dist. and Mallory Promaster coil. Stock S.U.'s and 79 ZX 5-speed w/ an 83 Turbo 3:90 diff on 225/50R16's

Good question though. love to hear an aprox. time.

Dave.

Stock '70 240Z (according to Road & Track. April 1970 issue) did 0-60 in 8.7 seconds. In my experience, the engine mods will only cut a little bit from 0-60. Gearing changes will have far more effect. I'd guess that without a gearing change or a turbo, an L24 powered 240Z would be hard pressed to get under 7.5 seconds. But that's just a guess, not a fact or experience.

indeed...you have to get a lot of mods that will decrease your 0-60 time. I noticed a huge improvement with my 11# flywheel, coilover suspension with illuminas, and most of the interior gone a big increase in acceleration is noticed.

I strongly suspect that your car IS faster than 7.5, Dave. The 3.90 in the rear is probably the key to that.

Although - If the gearing gets too low, 0-60 times can suffer. With the stock 3.36:1 ratio and stock height tires a 240Z can make it to 60 with only one shift. If you get too low geared you have to shift again (into third) to get to 60. No matter how fast you shift, that is going to hurt the 0-60 time.

Which is why 0-60 is not a really great measure of performance. It is too short a time/distance to allow things to all work together. There are some wicked fast race cars that have really poor 0-60 times (compared to their power output).

Appropriate gearing depends on many different factors, turbo or NA, tire size, powerband of the engine, weight of the vehicle, etc. There is no "right" answer. The T5 maybe perfect for cruising on the freeway at 2700 rpms, but that is the widest ratio transmission you can get for a Z. That's not good for a cammed NA car with a narrow powerband, for instance.