IGNORED

Shekhar Mehta - in memoriam.

HS30-H

Sad news.

Mr Shekhar Mehta passed away in a London hospital on 12th April 2006 after a short illness. He was taken ill on the island of Corsica, where he was attending to his duties as the Rally Commissioner for the FIA on the 'Tour De Corse' round of the World Rally Championship. He was just 60 years old.

Born in 1945 - a Ugandan of Indian extraction - Shekhar entered his first competitive event in 1966. He went on to win the East African Safari Rally a total of 5 times - four of them in 'Datsun'-branded cars. First of these ( in 1973 ) in a Works Datsun 240Z co-driven by Lofty Drews - the second Safari win for the 240Z.

Shekhar rallied all over the world, in famous events such as the RAC Rally in the UK, The Monte Carlo Rallye, The Southern Cross Rally in Australia, The TAP Rallye in Portugal, The Acropolis Rally etc etc - as well as many national and club events here in the UK.

Acknowledged as a fast and flamboyant driver ( sometimes, to be fair, slightly overexuberant ) Shekhar made a big impression wherever he drove, more often than not pictured with a smile on his face and a glint in his eye. He will be sadly missed.

Sincere condolences to his wife Yvonne and son Vijay.

Alan T.

post-2116-14150797199681_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150797200252_thumb.jpg

Sad news indeed :(

I was only recently having a laugh at some comments attributed to him in an old Aust. motorsports magazine article on the Southern Cross...something along the lines of the 240Z rally cars being quick, but an accident going somewhere to happen LOL

I never realised just how young he was in his "Datsun Days"

Alan,

This is in deed, sad news. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

I would like this to serve as a reminder that these "original" Datsun enthusiasts are getting to that age where this kind of thing is going to become common. I strongly suggest that we, the next generation of Datsun enthusiasts contact these pioneers, and take the time to listen and Document their stories.

These guys, (the ones that are left) are living history, a history that can be lost if we don't take the time to pay attention to these few great people. These guys deserve this.

It is their legacy, and our responsibilty.

This really is sad news. I agree with what Ron said about contacting these living legends.

I remember a picture taken not too long ago of Shekhar with Guus's car. He looked very happy. My condolences go out to his family and friends.