IGNORED

280 Zed in Australia

Zedrally

Wow, what a line up. It makes the codes for the S30 range look simple... What great information has come out of this thread. Thank you! Some of this is news to me - I did not know they had an S130 L20ET for starters! Please don't worry about the "lesser" comment, I was just asking!

Can I ask, the difference between the S130 Fairlady Z-L and Z-T much the same as the difference between the S30 Fairlady Z-L and Fairlady Z in Japan? Also, you noted that the Turbo models were equipped with the L20ET. Was the L28ET available in any S130 in Japan?

Can I ask, the difference between the S130 Fairlady Z-L and Z-T much the same as the difference between the S30 Fairlady Z-L and Fairlady Z in Japan?

Kind of - but the S130-series had a bigger range than the S30-series ( as you can see ), and there were three steps in trim levels instead of two:

'Fairlady Z' ( S130S ) was the no-frills entry-level model, and then there were the 'Fairlady Z-L' ( S130 ) and the 'Fairlady Z-T' ( S130J ) in ascending order of price. This three-step spec level choice carried on up through the sub-models. You can see that the structuring of the codes was similar to that of the S30-series, but there were more models to choose from.

Also, you noted that the Turbo models were equipped with the L20ET. Was the L28ET available in any S130 in Japan?

No, no L28ET in a Japanese S130-series Z from the factory.

Alan T.

Very interesting! They certainly were spoilt for choice back at home. In Australia we only ever got the 2+2, and 2+2 T-bar I believe... definitely short end of the stick on that one! Thanks for all the information though. The structure of the VIN prefixes is good - very sensible and consistent at Nissan it seems compared to some other companies...

Sorry for making this thread go off-topic MOM! I believe your original question has been answered now though. :)

snip....

Sorry for making this thread go off-topic MOM! I believe your original question has been answered now though. :)

Yes, it has. Thanks to all replys, I'm sure the detailed list that Alan has provided will be studied by all folloowers of zedology.

MOM

That Carlos Casmiri S130 coupe may have been the NSW ex rally car for sale a while ago for $20,000, at the time I was looking for one. Not sure but it could have been badly smashed one time, which is why I hate rare old cars being used for dirt rallying. Anyway it was too expensive and potentially problematical for me.

I had wondered if anyone had rallied a S130, no-one down south at least that I've ever found.

On the US 280Z, a replica but in RHD form was built in Q for historic racing fairly recently. And I heard that a LHD 280Z was recently imported by someone on the Gold Coast.

It appears that the 280Z in Oz is hearsay only.

I'm guessing that these so-called 280Z's are actually either HS-30 or RS-30 bodies with a L28 engine dropped in and called a replica for various reasons.

There is a CAMS Logbooked HS-30 with a 280FI engine that is logbooked as a 280Z as a HRC [Historic Rally Car] down this way , it is a 280Z in name only as it was built from a 72/3 body.

More recently quite a few RS-30's have materialized with a L28 and FI. These are logbooked PRC and allowed as model run-ons.

To go on & try to dechiper anymore would be a minefield!

Thanks again to all posters....

its amazing how many 280z there are in australian motorsport especially targa and Rally tas tarmac style events

Having looked at the rules for these classes i believe they are no more than 240z or 260z with 280 motors claiming top be 280z to get the xtra capacity and therefore more hp

In the rules for Rally tas and i believe this is the same for targa and other tarmac events u can build replicas of works replica cars mainly there so u can copy all the factory hotted up porcshes and i believe that is where these supposed 280z cum from because the same body run up to a 280z motor they can change to that and call them 280z

At the moment under targa rules if a manyfacturer builds 10 cars they can run them in races eg the Broadbent daytona coupe and the Bullet mx5s built in queensland though they need a few more to comply the bullets that is

Hi Mick,

Some good input there....

One must wonder how one can build a "works" 280Z when there weren't any built! The Tarmac regs are a WIP, armed with the info that this thread has brought forward, I'm sure there may be a re-classification of those so-called 280Z's.

Edit:

The CAMS Bible lists the following: 240Z,260Z,260Z 2+2, 280Z in Group Sc Production Sports Cars 1970-1977, seems they forgot the 280Z 2+2!

they must be real rare the 280 2 +2 never seen anyone race one of them

though some people would believe anything i had a real nice VH commdore SLE top the range 4.2l v8 so being the person i am had to fiddle with so when the wife crashs it i have it resprayed same colour and put Vk commdore bumpers and taillights on pulled off the protection strips and added Hdt aero wheels and Vk race grill two years after i sell it some bloke rings up saying he owns it and can i confirm its a rare factory proptotype for the Vk range i laughed so much

Another Zed of interest was the 300zx John and Jason white raced in targa first few years it was a Jap import fairlady 300zx i saw it when they bought it by the time it lined up at targa it was a steve Millen special with heaps of go fast goodies but for sure it was only a copy of some Steve Millen special

Seeing that the later AU 260Z body was basically the same as the US 280Z body, its not difficult to build a fairly accurate RHD 280Z replica for the purposes of competition use. Probably more accurate than a lot of 'replica' Porsches running around ;)

On the competition history of the S130, apparently Alan Stean navigated a 2+2 successfully for a while.

The replys have got me wondering how a 280Z can be homologated in OZ?

IF there weren't any RHD versions then how did Nissan get the FIA papers?

The FIA Papers that I have, all list H(L)S30 - so perhaps it didn't matter to the FIA which side of the car the Driver sat on...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

post-3609-14150797151597_thumb.jpg