IGNORED

stub stacks on SU's

mperdue

HI Mark,

What kind of clearance from "top" of filters do you have from stacks?

BTW I've lost the website info for the TRWs....

Car looks awesome, love that turquoise/blue interior. Gotta get down there to check out.

david Spillman

HI Mark,

What kind of clearance from "top" of filters do you have from stacks?

BTW I've lost the website info for the TRWs....

Car looks awesome, love that turquoise/blue interior. Gotta get down there to check out.

david Spillman

David,

Best I can tell it looks like 3/4" clear from horn to inside of ITG air cleaner. MSA sells the ITG air cleaner and 44mm air horn (TWM Induction). Air horn is 50mm tall and the air cleaner is 3 3/4" tall overall. I would say the air cleaner is 25mm thick. NCZ like I said MSA sells this setup.

One of the nice things about the ITG filters is that clearance to the end of the filter isn't that critical since air can enter from any direction. Compare that to a K&N setup for SU's where the end of the filter is capped with a piece of steel. Still, it'd be interesting to see dyno results from stock to K&N to ITG with TWM horns and see exactly what the difference is. I would imagine that it isn't that huge a difference, because I think the limitation is the SU itself, not the air cleaner.

One of the nice things about the ITG filters is that clearance to the end of the filter isn't that critical since air can enter from any direction. Compare that to a K&N setup for SU's where the end of the filter is capped with a piece of steel. Still, it'd be interesting to see dyno results from stock to K&N to ITG with TWM horns and see exactly what the difference is. I would imagine that it isn't that huge a difference, because I think the limitation is the SU itself, not the air cleaner.
I agree. For my part I like the looks but I doubt there is much if any gain.

44 Mikunis with my own stub stacks made with a 3/8" radius carbide router bit and a mill with an ITG filter. If I was going to do it again I would have made a solid piece to connect the two holes, then radiused the outside edge as well. I also would have tried to put the cap screws in from the back, and threaded the holes in the stack. Live and learn...

stacklets.jpg

stack_close.jpg

When I ran SU's I cut the stock housing up and put the stock air horns inside K&N filters.

Thats the same thing I did whan I put my new motor in, upon testing when I 1st got it running, i tried just bolting up those old foam/wire mesh filters i already had directly to the carbs, but could feel a very noticable decrease in performance from when I had no filters on at all. so I went and measured the stacks motorsport had, but they all had something like 42-45mm diam. max on the bolt on side compared to the stock stacks of close to 50mm...

this wouldnt matter for stock SU's really, but my SU's are bored out so I opted to cut my stock stacks out...to get the extra air flow. they fit real nice into the big round K&N's in the pics below, but I couldnt stop tinkering with

air flow so I used a hole saw ( LOL, it was a bitch to do ) to cut a 60ishmm

hole in the end of my K&N's and installed a wire mesh inside of them, hoping I would get a bit more air...my thinking was the sealed end cap on the K&N's

was limiting airflow a bit. Personally the result "feels" like theres no filters on at all. I like the look a little better that the ITG's ONLY because Im not

too fond of the RED framework on them in a blue engine bay. other than that, i love those ITG filters:). Sorry no pic of the drilled out end cap...my darn camera is at work, the last pic is prior to drilling.

p61800279oz.th.jpg

p61700267pl.th.jpg

p61800295lk.th.jpg