IGNORED

Engine rebuild advice? Suggestions?

rdefabri

I know it is cool to run the steel wheels but... Nothing makes a Z more unstable than running 5" wheels with 175X14 tires. They are very sqirmmy. How about getting a set of 6.5 steel wheels for the Z and run the stock "D" hubcaps? Having the extra rim width and wider tires really will help the handling. And only an expert will know the difference!

Cosidering the tooling that it would take to reproduce a complex stamped sheet metal part like hubcaps, the repros would likely cost just as much as good originals.

Me? I'll end up with something totally period-looking on mine - slotted mags, or maybe a set of Libres. Leave the big dollar hubcaps for the trailer queens. (No offense intended to any trailer queen owners who may be reading this. You need those hubcaps way worse than I do.)

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking!!!

The "D" caps ain't cheap though. Does anyone make a reproduction of them?

Based on the mfg date of your Z, you'd be more period correct with the red "Z" center cap wheel covers...and they're cheaper!

Steve

to confirm my previous post, please see www.zhome.com, and scroll down the left hand side, clicking on the "hubcaps" link. There you will see examples of early and late 240Z hubcaps.

For a set currently available (in need of resto), see below link: (They are listed as 1971, but I suspect it's a late 1971--technically 1972 (Series III) model year:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Datsun-240Z-Hubcaps-Datsun-240Z-Wheel-Covers_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34209QQitemZ4610996176QQrdZ1

Good luck,

Steve

Rich, another thought about your Z being sluggish and the engine coughing below 3000 rpm's... It could be that the carbs are not balanced. If they are out of balance, it could result in only one carb flowing air at idle & low speed. Then when you hit the higher revs, you've got the foot feed down a bit to where the throttle in each carb is opened up and the engine is running off both of them. The engine will run off one carb, but not very well.

How does it perform when the choke is applied? With the carbs choked and everything adjusted properly, the fuel nozzles will be pulled down about 1/4" (results in a richer air/fuel mixture) and the throttle plates will be cracked open about 0.023 inches. So, applying the choke has a balancing effect on the carbs.

Ken,

That's a possibility. I haven't driven it with the choke engaged, so I am not certain. I do know that when I blip the throttle with the choke, it will cough a little, but not a ton.

I took it for a spin yesterday and the carbs crossed my mind. Since my original Z was a fuelie, I am prone to not considering carbs as an area to investigate.

I thought of pulling them and sending to Z Therapy for an overhaul....anyone have experience with them?