IGNORED

Dissapointed In My New Exhaust, Twice!!

Pennyman

I have all my exhaust work done by Ed Hanson in La Mesa(San Diego County) CA. Ed is a very approachable guy with a great attitude. He has numerous photos of street rod jobs that he has done over the years. I had my 78Z's system done over 10 years ago and it is still working great. I had his shop do the work on my 73 and it did not go right at first(they had a rookie work on it), he had the downpipe hanging too low which caused a manifold stud to break, so I took it back in to have a resonator added since it was so loud without one and they fixed the exhaust leak. All and all I still very happy with Ed Hanson's shop. I am sure the place that Ron mentioned up in Vista is great too. I agree with Arne, guys who do custom jobs for street rods and what not tend to be much better place to get a nice system down for your Z.

Thanks Montezuma...it is important to find a guy that you can trust that will do the job you want. Not only the skill, but the skill and understanding to know what you need. It is hard to find, but once you do you won't be dissapointed.

Talk to the people who are going to do your work, make sure that they understand what you are looking for and don't be afraid to pay for a good job. The guy that does it is worth it.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

i spent around $180 and bought a monza exhaust system. i installed it myself and i got it to fit just the way i wanted it to. the whole thing took about a half hour to do and nothing rattles. i was able to use the factory hangers to mount the entire thing so that made it fairly easy to do.

• 3 months later...
i spent around $180 and bought a monza exhaust system. i installed it myself and i got it to fit just the way i wanted it to. the whole thing took about a half hour to do and nothing rattles. i was able to use the factory hangers to mount the entire thing so that made it fairly easy to do.

Was this the Monza exhaust (and header) as sold by BlackDragon? 2006 fall edition catalogue.

I put the MSA Three Into Two Header on my car and it worked out fine. I got the one without the smog fittings.

However, I didn't have such good success with the MSATurbo Exhaust System. The way the pipes lined up I couldn't get the Muffler to fit in straight so I scrapped the pipes and had custom ones made to my specifications. I was lucky to find a craftsman at a local Midas Store who was good at his craft and was willing to work with me.

I ended up using the muffler from the above kit and I did get it to fit flat and straight in the small space.

Here is a picture of what my exhaust system looks like...(Well, I was going to add a picture but for some reason the system wouldn't allow me to do it)

Before mounting it I painted the whole thing with high temp paint.

The extra pipes and the labor at Midas was less than $200.

• 1 month later...
I did the same. I bought 2.5" mandrel bends from JC Whitney and a section of straight pipe from the local exhaust place, along with some generic strap type hangers that we attached to the stock Z brackets that hang down from the frame rails. Super Turbo muffler was JC Whitney as well, I think it was ~$26. The crappy MSA 6-1 header was the worst part, if I had to do it again I'd shell out for the Nissan Comp header for sure. Took me and a buddy about 4 hours messing around with it in the front yard with his mig and it was all done. I have the tightest tucked exhaust I have yet to see on a 240Z. Only problem was it was a little sprung. We made the pipe in between the 2 90's a little too short. The muffler needs replacing 8 years later so I'll fix that issue when I install the new muffler. I think my total cost including the header and shipping was under $400. Not as light and perfect as John's stainless exhaust I'm sure.
Jon, Is the Nissan comp header you are referring to the 1 5/8" chromed header?

• 3 months later...

I have a header and 2.5 pipe going back to a turbo muffler and it souds great. I had Midas install the system and they did a great job. They let me watch and everything. I was glad I trusted the Midas touch!!! The installer used to have a 240 like mine back in the day. He has been in the muffler biz for about thirty plus years. They welded my muffler to the pipe as well. No stupid U joints to rust out.

• 1 month later...