IGNORED

Metal headlight bucket?

kurtwwalters

my 71 has metal ones and both of my 70's have fiberglass. From what I have heard, In the beginning they couldn't figure out how to form the metal into the right shape. Thats why they used fiberglass. Then, later on they found out how to do it with metal and switched over.

well my Z had a fiberglass one on the driver and metal on the passenger ( lookd to be actually stock i sat there scratching my head for awhile.) This was off a 72 240z. It made no sense cuz i sanded them both down and they both had the same paint layers on em. Theres no evidence of any crashing. i have no clue....

Your '72 was probably THE car representing the change, Jay. Collector's item.

Metal headlight buckets are made in two pieces. they have a welded seam and they were more expensive to manufacture. FRP is different from fiberglass in that it is a compression molded process as opposed to laid cloth. Kind of like comparing particle board to plywood. In some respects it is stronger and in some respects it is very difficult to repair. The manufacturer of the FRP products on the Z car was making molded stadium seating at the time. Headlight buckets are not the only thing made from FRP on the Z. The original spoiler, fender flares, ZG nose, and I think 432-R hood, doors and deck lid were made from FRP.

vin 11546 was fpr built in oct of 1970.

when i removed them for body work one threaded stud out of three on each side broke and later another eventually fell out. i have replaced them with metal for the ease of getting them to fit properly. my original fpr set is available.

cd