IGNORED

In lieu of jack stands

1972zed

First of all , buy a good set of stands, NOT the cheep ones made of glorified sheet metal. The stand must have a wide foot print so it wont topple if side pressure is applied to the car. Always use at least two stands . If working on the front of the car then use one stand on each side of the front the same with the rear . Never use a set of stands and jack the care up on one side . The jack stands are not ment to be used on a angle or unlevel surface. The ramps are a great way of gaining highth. I use two sets when working on the Z when the wheels need not be removed. However I use the floor jack to raise the front and then slip the ramp under the tires with the ramp part facing toward the front of the car . I then jack the rear and put the secound set of ramps under the rear tires with the ramps facing to the rear. I have wooden blocks cut like door stops to chock the tires and tap them in place with a hammer. This way the tires will not move , beside the fact that the tires are riding in a depression in the ramp. This puts the car well in the air so cleaning or working on the underside of the car is much easier. Storage of Jack stands and ramps is not difficult and they take little room. I have one set of ramps at my home and a secound set '' loaned'' to my son . To do the clutch I would use four 3 ton stands and raise both ends of the car to allow you space to work. Or the ramps as described above. Gary If you have a Harbor Fright near by all means go there for the stands .

I've seen the battery operated impacts from Snap-On (18 volt) but no, I've personally never used one. The Snap-On guy that comes to my work tells me that it will take the lugs off his truck :laugh: I just traded my old 1/2 inch snap-on impact in for the new magnesium 1/2 inch Gun. That thing is sweeeeeet :devious:

Anyways make sure you got a good torque wrench too so you can torque the nuts and bolts back to factory specs. :)

I remember i was ata junkyard, jumping on a 4foot breaker bar trying to get a lugnut on a wheel to budget so i could get the rims. Couldn't do it, and the breaker bar was bending.

The guy next to me was using a snapon cordless impact gun rated at 500 ft lbs of torque to remove teh head off an ka24de in a 240sx. He came up, put the impact gun on, and broke all the lugs loose in a heartbeat.

i never understood the benefit of an impact wrench, always thought it was just a tool to loosen nuts quickly.

then my son bought one........

it's gotta be one of the best tools to use especially on older rusted fasteners. i have yet to break a bolt using this thing, and i know if i just used a breaker bar i would have torqued off quite a few.

Ok went out to look for jackstands. Found some 3 ton stands. Are they adequate? Place I went to sell 2 ton, 3 ton and 12 ton. The 12 ton ones seemed pretty overdone.

the 3 ton ones give you 16.6" clearance. Is that enough room to do the clutch job?

Ok went out to look for jackstands. Found some 3 ton stands. Are they adequate? Place I went to sell 2 ton, 3 ton and 12 ton. The 12 ton ones seemed pretty overdone.

the 3 ton ones give you 16.6" clearance. Is that enough room to do the clutch job?

They should be just fine . If you have a harbor fright around they sell them for about $12. for two .

• 9 months later...

I hate to drag this one up again but I will. Sorry y'all. I have jack stands for the rear and steel ramps (good new ones) for the front. I was just thinking yesterday that this probably isnt a very safe setup, as there is the potential for the car to roll back (because of the ramps) and knock the rear jack stands over . Is this possible?

I hate to drag this one up again but I will. Sorry y'all. I have jack stands for the rear and steel ramps (good new ones) for the front. I was just thinking yesterday that this probably isnt a very safe setup, as there is the potential for the car to roll back (because of the ramps) and knock the rear jack stands over . Is this possible?

Yes. When the rear is on jackstands, there is not anything to keep the front wheels from rolling aside from the tiny lip on the ramps. Either chock the front wheels on the ground or put the front up on jack stands.

Please, could anyone post a few pix of a Z car properly positioned on jack stands? I'd like to see from the bottom up so that I do it the proper way without doing damage to my vehicle (positioning properly on the uniframe concerns me). Also, what's the recommended procedure, one corner at a time, or both front or rear at a time? (Logic tells me both front or both rear so as to avoid the leaning.) And what are the best jacking points to use when doing this.

I'm ready to go with a small floor jack and four jack stands from harbor Freight! I guess all I need now is the confidence to do it correctly, and I know that y'all can certainly supply that! I must admit that I an a "visual" learner; seeing helps me understand much better than trying to interpret from text. I don't mean to be a pain, just want to do it right the first time. (I have in the past used a pair of ramps, but want to get the girl up on all four corners without wheels touching.) Your help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

John