IGNORED

Aging Man with an Aging Car -- I need help

wm_e_smith

I still have a few things to do before I can describe any farther problems that might still exist. But, I would like to ask some simple things that apply to my situation, unrelated to obvious problems --

1) I have the air duct which extends from above the radiator to the air filter OFF the car.

Is that bad?

2) The wire which runs from the pickup coil over to the ignition coil area is rather lengthly.

How does one route that wire so that it doesn't interfere with anything?

3) What effect does NOT having the shroud for the fan installed?

1) The intake will draw cooler air with the duct in place

2) Zip ties though there is a plastic clip that holds that wire to the radiator

hose but they usually break over time and I don't know if anyone sells them

3) Cooling will be better with the shroud in place especially with the ac on

• 2 weeks later...

I would also check the muffler,when the car is an older with the stock muffler they sometimes rust from the inside out.I had a car the started just fine but when I drove awhile it would die then it would be hard to start.I change the filter,fuel pump and still the same.I would hear some hissing noise once in a while.Finally took the muffler of and that was the problem,it was plugged!Good Luck.

I forgot to slip the boot onto the wires first before snapping on the connector so I replaced that connector. Connector was the one to the water temperature sensor. Some pulling of the wires was necessary to gain enough access to the ends. Since installing the connector, the car will not start and doesn't appear to want to start. After disconnecting the wire to the starter and trying to 'start', I can hear the fuel pump operating. I haven't performed a pressure check yet. Are there suggestions as to what might have suddenly happened?

An after thought: It's been so long ago that I, myself, replaced the fuel filter that I had forgotten. During replacing it this time, when I removed the hoses, I expected the fuel to flow out until the line between tank and filter was drained. BUT, it never quit draining. I hurriedly installed the new one. Did this happen to me before? I don't think so, or at least, I sure don't remember. The tank was approximately 3/4 full.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe when I changed the connector without disconnecting the battery I blew the control unit. While reading the Haynes manual, it talks of 'control unit' and also the 'transitor control unit'. I am lost. Would you recommend that, since I am obviously so dense on the subject, to take it in to a possible expert or keep on trying while bugging you guys?

Be wary of 'experts'. No, you didn't blow the control unit (not by replacing the connector), unless you were attempting to start the car at the same time, while grounding the two wires to the block or sticking them in unusual places. So... the car isn't starting now? What's going on?

(Hey, this is post #2000 for me!)

IT WAS??

over on the left it says:

those darn San Bernardino-ians....see how they are. (justkidding)

Id like to see a pic of the 810 too...theres a mechanic or service guy at the nissan garden grove (CA.) that used to have a beautiful one. ive wanted to get one ever since.

***And good luck to you Mr Smith. I wish i could help out you seem like

a nice guy, but I dont have much experence with those "new fangled"

hi tech fuel injection system cars, but if it was me....id revert back to

SU's! (carbs).***

systems

I just knew that you were interested.

I talked with an unknown repair shop. Explained that car would not start, left a note on front seat, and called towing company. Car was towed this morning but before I sent it off, I decided to check the fluid levels. Oil indicator showed that I was above the HIGH mark, smelled the dipstick, decided I had gas in the crankcase, immediately thought that the problem was flooding because of a defective cold start valve, added to the note that I had written what my thoughts were, and off it went.

I called this evening and ask if they had a chance to look at it. I was told that they have been charging the battery all day, haven't done anything to the car yet, but they started it. So I'll wait until they do something. Their starting it boosted my spirits, and at this point, I still suspect the cold start valve which caused the excessive flooding and the inability to start the car.

I'll let you know what they come up with.

Well I've only been a 'San Bernardino-ian' since late May. That post was in August so 280 post in two months!? I guess I have more time on my hands since I'm retired. Anyway, here's a picture of my 810:

hey Steve,

I was just playing around, just because your probably one of the closest ones to me in the club. So you just moved there? from where? glad you missed all the terrible fires a couple of years ago..

** and by the way thats a beautiful 810**

wish i had the resources to get one, id love to have one. maybe next year around tax time :)

JacK

Moreno Valley

Stephen, it was a nice looking 810. It's admirable.

Jackboxxx, I'd sell you mine only that you realize that you would have to haul it from Ohio to Moreno Valley. I will guarantee you that it will be running smoothly at the time of pick up. The power steering fluid which disappears, the struts and rear shocks, and the looks of its outside and interior would be your problem, otherwise I myself am in love with it. Although, if you offered an amount where I could buy the cheapest new car on the market, regardless of how cheap it is, my car will be on its way back to God's country, southern California.

Now come on, me and my car are getting old, have a heart!

But then I'll say, for an old car which was once taken real care of, in recent years, the looks have been neglected but I have always kept it running top knotch.