IGNORED

Aging Man with an Aging Car -- I need help

wm_e_smith

I'll start with being brief. I have owned a 1978 Datsun 810 for 26 years. It has, and still is, realiable, dependable and I still have faith but it has also had little brain warping idiosyncracies that even neither the dealers, car repair places, nor myself could understand -- costly, to say the least. Now it's bothering me because I cannot afford to take the chance of wasting money on someone telling me "It's fixed" then the problem arises again two days later.

My future posts will explain some of the problems I've had and what eventually happened. Hopefully, my past problems might give someone an idea of what's going on with their car. Also, I hope to gain by someone giving me ideas.

I hope that I am not intruding on the web site by not having a z-car but my understanding is that my car was a result of the success of the 240-Z engine. If I have intruded, let me know.

That would be a Bluebird I guess. Forerunner the the US Maxima. It really didn't fall into any particular name type catagory. It's more or less a 200B with the front streched, and an L24E for an engine. I also own one, a 1979 2 dr. So, wm e smith, what kind of problems are you having?

I appreciate the responses. The car is a 1978 Datsun 810 California model (assuming it's called that because of -- catalytic converter and altitude switch, plus other emission control stuff), L24 6-cyl, a great car but if I live any longer than it, I'm so afraid it'll become a junk yard relic.

The problem I now have is after starting it (easily starts and runs top knotch), after about 10 miles down the highway, it will suddenly lose all power and come to a stop. But it's always easy to start up again. Then when I make a turn around and come back home, I can expect it to die again a couple times before I get back home.

ALSO -- a slight bump in the road, a pot hole, or a speed bump will cause the same problem. It's mind boggling to me.

Fuel Filter could be it. I've never thought abought it but over the years I've noticed that car spits and sputters when fuel tank is almost empty. Could that be moisture, rust sediments, or whatever in the fuel tank? Also how important is it to repalce the fuel cap? When I ususally fuel up and unscrew the cap, it has a big gust of air. Is that a bad thing?

It is not good to let your tank run down to empty !!! That will definitely harm fuel filter and fuel pump. As for the gush of air when you open the gas cap that is not a problem. I would change the fuel filter and add a bottle of gas treatment !!!! Good luck and keep you and the car rolling !!! Also sounds like the symtoms of vapor lock !!!! but lets try simplest solution first !!!!!!!

The gust of air from the fuel cap is normal. Could be fuel realated as Zedrally says, but when I had a similar problem with my 810 it turned out to be a bad connection at the temperature sensor. I cleaned the connector and the problem went away but I ultimately changed the connector since it was cracked and brittle as they all seem to get over time.

I'll work on the fuel filter and the temp sensor (assuming it's what my Haynes manual calls a water temperture sensor).

Another thought came to mind. I don't quite understand the full purpose of the DASHPOT. I had a racing engine, took it to a Nissan dealer, was told that no DASHPOTS were available, picked it up, then noticed the DASHPOT was on the seat. They removed it and I've been driving the car since with no apparent problems. What are the consequences of not having the thing mounted?

I'll have to look that up. (The daspot) I've never driven without it so I'll have to read up on it's function. The water temp sensor is the one on the right of the water neck with a two wire connector. It's smaller than the thermotime switch which is to the left.

post-3797-14150795754193_thumb.jpg

Here's what I found in the 79 810 FSM. Apparently it's a emissions control device that works during deceleration and shouldn't cause any problems by not being there except allowing more HC emissions during deceleration. It was probably stuck which would cause your engine to race. Try some WD40 or your penetrating oil of choice on the shaft and see if you can make it move freely.

post-3797-14150795754337_thumb.jpg