IGNORED

Your First car.

Fun_in_my_z

Go240Zags fka GaryZ240,

Thanks! Yes the Internet is definitley an amazing place!

I hate too ham it up, but here are a few more picks of my old car. The interior looks exactly the same as it did 28 years ago when I last saw it, right down to the wood shifter handle. The new owner restored the car back to its original Mariner Turquoise Blue & black vinyl top. When I first bought the car in 11/76 the car had just been repainted silver and a new white vinyl top had just been installed. The car was only 10 years old at the time and I was only 17! I really like the original colors a lot better! It looks like the same 400 engine that I installed in it (after the original one blew), but I had a Holly 4-barrel and someone must have put the 6-pack in at some later point in time. I just hope my son and I can do as nice a job of restoring our two 240Zs as this guy restored my old GTO!

This is one of the better threads I have seen on Classic Zcar Club.....nothing like strolling down Memory Lane, thinking about our very first cars. For some of us, it was a very long time ago and for the younger members, only a few years ago. But we still all get the same great feelings when we talk about our own cars and hear the member's stories. We may not have our old cars anymore and most of us will probably never see them again, but it sure has been a lot of fun discussing each others cars and hearing about not only the cars themselves, but the great memories each member has of their their very first car!

post-6600-1415079580225_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150795802515_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150795802723_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150795802916_thumb.jpg

post-6600-141507958031_thumb.jpg

Go240Zags fka GaryZ240,

Thanks! Yes the Internet is definitley an amazing place!

I hate too ham it up, but here are a few more picks of my old car. The interior looks exactly the same as it did 28 years ago when I last saw it, right down to the wood shifter handle. The new owner restored the car back to its original Mariner Turquoise Blue & black vinyl top. When I first bought the car in 11/76 the car had just been repainted silver and a new white vinyl top had just been installed. The car was only 10 years old at the time and I was only 17! I really like the original colors a lot better! It looks like the same 400 engine that I installed in it (after the original one blew), but I had a Holly 4-barrel and someone must have put the 6-pack in at some later point in time. I just hope my son and I can do as nice a job of restoring our two 240Zs as this guy restored my old GTO!

This is one of the better threads I have seen on Classic Zcar Club.....nothing like strolling down Memory Lane, thinking about our very first cars. For some of us, it was a very long time ago and for the younger members, only a few years ago. But we still all get the same great feelings when we talk about our own cars and hear the member's stories. We may not have our old cars anymore and most of us will probably never see them again, but it sure has been a lot of fun discussing each others cars and hearing about not only the cars themselves, but the great memories each member has of their their very first car!

that is a '67 my dad and I restored a '67 kinda like that now he drives it mainly, man they are fast!! nice car

Must agree Steve, I actually carry a picture of my very first car in my wallet.

Bright yellow 73 Mach 1.

Vicky

• 2 weeks later...

A pinky purple 1965 Corvair Corsa 140hp, four one barrel carburetors. ( 2 primary and 2 secondary). I rebuilt the engine in high school auto shop and had it on the road in the summer of 1973. The car's crowning glory was when I beat my friend in a drag race with his new Triumph TR6. I spent many afternoons in the hills and back roads learning to go quickly. The car taught me about rear weight bias and terminal oversteer on a rainy afternoon on Mt Eden road near my home town of Cupertino. The Old Oak tree just lost some bark, but the Corvair went to Chevy heaven. I kept the engine and it found a home in a blue 1966 Corvair Monza. It was never quite the same as the first one.

Oops.jpg

My 1st car was a hand me down 68 chevelle, 327 w/ powerglide 2 speed..it ad been collecting dust in the driveway for a couple years when my dad bought a new car..within a month of getting it running a drunk ran a red light in what i think was a umm old datsun maybe a 510? which ruined the drivers side, and sent the chevelle into a spin which threw the passenger side into a telephone pole...bent the frame...but it still ran great! though the car was shaped like an hourglass now. i drove that car for like another year, and even used it for a delivery service job i had. then I finally bought another chevelle, this time a 69 SS 396 muncie 4 speed...green w/ white fac racing stripes. for 500 bucks....(this was the late 70's they were cheap then)

it had some electrical issues and i traded it away for a motorcycle..(still kicking myself for that deal) a year or 2 later, my friend showed me his step dads car in the garage....

a silver 240Z he bought while in the service overseas...he never drove it. it just sat in mint condition...my friend and I took it out at lunchtime one day and drove it around the block. I was hooked! ive had 4 of my own Z's since then.

JacK

• 1 month later...

My first car was a 1967 Mustang, 289 4 barrel , 4 speed., way back in 1967. My dad originally was going to buy an automatic for my mom , somehow I talked him into the 4 barrel and the 4 speed, bad thing was he then had to or did buy my mom one that was an automatic. I had tried like the devil to get them to buy me a Mustang, wouldnt do it but then somehow when we got to the dealerhip ( helped by the dealership owner who was a friend of my dads) we ended up with two of them , my dad has never lived that one down nor let me forget what I cost him that day.

First car of my own was a '63 Ford Galaxie 500XL 2 door hardtop. Big 390, bucket seats, floor shift automatic. Clean, straight and solid. I think I paid all of $600 for it in 1973.

But if you want to hear a contrast, I learned to drive in my mom's '63 MG 1100. For those who've never heard of those, it was a bit bigger than (but very similar to) the original Mini. Later slightly badge-engineered for the US as the Austin America. But the MG version was a manual transmission with dual 1-1/4" SUs.

My first car was a hand-me-down from my dad, a '69 Olds Delta 88 4 dr sedan, dark jade green with light jade green vinyl seats. Got it in 74 with maybe 50k miles. my parents knew very little about cars and when they bought it new in early 69, I noticed it had the Rocket 455 in it. I must have smiled about that til I sold it in 77 for $400 with only 77k on it. Body was rough. Car had more torque then you would imagine and won many street drags. Beat a Cuda 340 with 3 or 4 other guys in my car. Ran on regular gas and got decent mileage, too. Once clocked the MPG at 20 going to school in western Pennsylvania (Punxsitauny) averaging 80 mph.

Since that was my "driver" I picked up a 64 T-Bird convertible in 75 for fun. Paid 1300 and sold it 2 years later for 1700. now worth about 30K. Oh well. Have probably owned abut 30 cars though very few were much fun except an 82 Fiat Spider bought new and an 87 Supra. Can't touch my FX.

My first car was a hand-me-down from my Dad ...... 1949 Dodge 2 door coupe - black with post down center of the windshield. Car drove like a tank, slow as a 3-legged turtle but the trunk was huge. Car cost $150 used but with rebuilt flathead.

I stepped up to a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite which I bought for $600. Great car but cold and drafty in New England Winters. Left college with 1966 427 Corvette Convertible - blue with side exhaust and lotsa noise - a true muscle car but dangerous.

My first car was a 1972 240Z. I bought it using money I saved up washing dishes and it cost $1,900. It immediately needed a new transmission which I had installed, then I totalled the car 4 weeks later and wound up in the hospital for a week, and in bd for 4 more with a ruptured and removed spleen. My Z gave me a vertical scar from an inch below my belly button to my solar plexus.

But - it wasnt the car's fault and I just got another.