IGNORED

New and improved! Bimonthly poll of the month

hls30.com

What Zcars do you have? counting works in progress, but NOT parts cars!  

327 members have voted

1. 1. What Zcars do you have? counting works in progress, but NOT parts cars!

• 240Z Series one bone stock
    • 240Z Series two bone stock
    • 240Z customized
    • 260Z bone stock
    • 260Z customized
    • 280Z bone stock
    • 280Z customized
    • 280ZX bone stock
    • 280Z customized
    • 280ZX
    • 280ZXT
    • 300ZX(T) (Z31)
    • 300ZX (T, TT) Z32
    • 350Z
    • It aint a Z anymore!

It's a big problem in our neck of the woods.

Is my 260 actually a 260?, its got the 280 body and production year, so it must be a modified 260, yes, that's it! or could it be a modified 240?

Oh, I nearly forgot, it's also a 2+2 so it been streched and modified from a 260 [or was that a 240]?

Did you hear about the 260's that are actually 240's, check out the lower radiator support to see what it is.....

MOM

...bone stock 260z, but it is not quite "bone" stock, but I would definately not consider it modified...... I want it to appear stock for the most part, but with a few goodies :) .

This I think is the crux of this post.

At what point is your "restoration" actually a situation where you've replaced parts to "OPTIMIZE" your car according to your taste / knowledge. I use the new term OPTIMIZE to denote what you do even when you replace a bald set of tires for a new set, you are maintaining the car while "bettering" it's condition. I don't use improve, because a simple exchange of tires is not normally an improvement, but by putting tread where none was before, you've made the situation better. Now an improvement would be replacing the square top S.U.'s with round top, also replacing the stock tires/wheels with new wheels and high-end tires.

The key is that in the broadest sense of the term, Breat Bill's car is also a car that is being "optimized". i.e. he's working on getting it running and ....more.

Cause by the manner in which the definition is being applied, I also placed one each in Series I and II bone stock that will both be Customized for the purposes of the poll, but are more "optimized" than customized. i.e. I've replaced parts of both with later year parts, therefore rendering both vehicles as being custom. So move one each from the Series 240 to 240 Custom.

It should be noted that by changing the HCP to the 73 style (to gain illumination on the panel), swapping the dash with a 72 (no cracks) and upgrading the seats to the 72 (recline & tilt) I was not going for a kaleidoscope of a car but restoring that "stock" look. On the other car, simply changing the engine (with another year correct) will render it custom. Only a knowledgeable person of the marque would be able to pick these things out, but in this forum that's what we promote.

On that basis, I bring forth the term "Optimized", do I have a second?

E

Mom,

What, the Koala Brothers are a serious problem in your neck of the woods ROFL ? It is easy to see how they could severely alter and echo system.

In this poll, just list your cars as what they are in your country relative to how it was first delivered to the Dealer for sale. Just group the 2+2s with the coupes, and post about the differences.

Carl,

I thought you were hermitting in the garage! Group any non series one S30 of the 240Z variety as a Series two and post you Pinto lover!

Enrique,

I meant for any changes other than replacing the consumables (those parts/fluids that are scheduled through time, mileage, or wear, for replacement either in the OEM manuals of by the part manufacturer) to go in the custom areas for this poll, I will add the optimized selection next go-round. I do see the difference.

Will

At this point in time we are all becoming philo"z"ophers....

Sorry Will, your best intentions have exposed a serious flaw in how we all view our vehicles, as to "Optimized", good try, it might become a better way of describing these "bettered" cars, only time will tell [pun].

Perhaps we had better wait until that gent from over the other side of the pond has had his cuppa and crumpets & commented....! LOL

One of the pictures on the following site came up through a Roadster Mail List, and when I was looking at it, I came up with this picture listing of the "Officiial" Nissan Historic Car Collection Photo Gallery.

The list does show several of the cars that were "omitted" from the poll, as pointed out by a couple members, but the most glaring difference is....no 260's! So now who do we believe?

http://www.autobytel-japan.com/special/nissan/z/index.cfm

Check it out!

Enrique

I put mine as 240z Bone stock but it should have been 240z bone stock. oops! Nothing crazy has been done to it though. The only big differences that make it not BONE stock are the dual webers (PO) and front airdam (PO). Oh well.

I put mine as 240z Bone stock but it should have been 240z bone stock. oops! Nothing crazy has been done to it though.....

Most of us are already confused enough without your throwing gas on the fire.....LOL

But your pronunciation of " ...B...one" versus "....b....one" leaves something to be desired, you lisped......ROFL

E

The list does show several of the cars that were "omitted" from the poll, as pointed out by a couple members, but the most glaring difference is....no 260's! So now who do we believe?

http://www.autobytel-japan.com/special/nissan/z/index.cfm

Check it out!

Enrique

Enrique,

I don't think that even Nissan themselves would claim that the cars they happen to have in their collection at Zama form any kind of definitive 'list'.

Quite apart from what cars they have in their whole collection, certain cars from the Zama warehouse are often out on loan for display at dealerships and events all over Japan.

But if you didn't see a '260Z' in there I wouldn't be surprised anyway; Japan only got the 'RS30' for a couple of months at the very most before they were all recalled to the Factory to have their engines changed and their VIN prefixes restamped. They went from being 2600cc 'Fairlady 260' RS30 models to 2000cc 'Fairlady Z' S30 models - with the Nissan 'hamburger' silhouette stamped over the changes to the VIN numbers.

The problem was emissions-related. At that time, Japan had probably the most stringent new emissions regulations in the whole world. Nissan just couldn't get the '260Z' to comply, and recalled the lot. The whole thing was swept under the carpet - er, Tatami mat.

Japan never got any 'ZX' S130s either. They were all plain vanilla Zs, Z-Ls and Z-Ts.

Regarding this poll, I would say that focusing on ALL the different S30 / S31 models would make it long enough - even without all the S130-onwards stuff.

Alan T.

Alan, I just want to see how many have more than one Z, and what they are,

I know Mike has a 240 and a 350, as does 350Z, Several members have more than one model of Z. I am after some parameters to place the S30 data in-I promise I won't invite anything but S30s to the party except on rare occasion, and then only when it clearly shows the superiority if the S30!

Will