IGNORED

Splash Pan Machine Screws

AZ-240z

I need a little help. I have a series 1 made in 1/71 and have the splash pan, but need the original machine screws which have 5mm shafts, 1.0 pitch, and 8mm head. There are nine screws. Anyone have a spare set they are willing to sell? It's the little stuff thats a bear to find. Thanks for any help.

Dan

Original owner, 240Z

hls30-20419

IZCC# 12324

Hey Robert

Not crazy, just addicted. I hope to finally make a meeting. I'll let you know. I may be wrong, but the screws for a 280 splash pan I believe are 6mm with a 10mm head.

for some reason, they changed sizes, but I could be wrong. I would certainly like to see what you have though.

Dan

Hello Dan

What you say is interesting here re the change in size of the machine screws. I also have a splash pan and the screws in the body of the car itself seem to be M5 whereas the screws which go into the front cross-member appear to be M6.

What do these screws look like for originality purposes? Do they have a cross in the head to take a phillips head screwdriver or are they bolts with the 4 stamped in the head?

Maybe you could find a substitute from Nissan to use. Look around the front fender attachment/apron attachment area and you may be able to find something which you could order new from your local NIssan?

If you could let me know what the screws look like it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joseph

Just giving you a hard time. I understand the quest for those elusive parts, I did a lot of seaching for 1973 Trans Am parts at one time.

I just checked and you are correct, mine are 10mm. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you though.

Robert

Hi Joseph,

Sorry I didn't see your reply sooner. I am certain the early 240 had 5mm shafts and 8mm wrench heads. I really haven't seen those, but the 280 machine screws have a hex head with phillips cross slot, and the finish appears to be a clear or silver cad plate. I am assuming that those for the early 240 are very similar. I've checked with nissan and they have not found any similar in that size. They also have a flat washer that is permanently attached , or fender washer. If I have any success, I will get back to this thread.

Dan

I hope you don't mind me asking a related question. I have an original 72z that did not have a splash guard. Were they available on the earller cars only or was there a reason they were not installed on all cars. My car was an automatic if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Bob M

Hi Bob M,

I'll probably get slammed by someone with more knowledge, but, for early 69, 70, & 71 z's, only a few were delivery in North America with splash pans. The vast majority came without pans and rad. fan shrouds. I believe, when A/C was factory installed in 73 cars, fan shrouds and splash pans were somewhat standard, for better engine cooling air flow control. There is probably more accurate info if you check out the search function for past threads. Hope that helps.

Dan

• 1 month later...
I hope you don't mind me asking a related question. I have an original 72z that did not have a splash guard. Were they available on the earller cars only or was there a reason they were not installed on all cars. My car was an automatic if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Bob M

Hi Bob,

I own 2 '73 240's, 1 4spd and 1 AT. Both have a splash pan with the 8mm head. I am missing many of the screws and all but one sheared off while removing to do suspension/steering work. I don't really have a point to all of this, but I thought you might like to know (late as it is).

Believe it or not, your local ACE hardware store may have what you need. Like John Madden says, ACE is the place. They have a real good selection of metric and stainless metric hardware, as well as metric threaded rod. If there is one near you, check it out when you determine the correct size y'all need.