IGNORED

Z Hubcaps restored and on my Z

v12horse

George, to remove the paint I used an aeresol chemical stripper. For the taping I used 14-day 1/2" blue 3M tape. It has no curvature qualities. I used a duplicolor high-performance wheel coating (HWC102) paint and the clear coat is rust-oleum matte clear (1902). I am still working on a full write-up.

-Ben:)

• 5 years later...

I'm looking to restore some original D caps, but don't know what the original color is supposed to be. I know the center portion (around the D) is supposed to be black. And I think the rest is supposed to be a gray and chrome - but not sure what shade of gray or the exact color. Anybody have some information and how I can restore these to their original color?

Thanks in advance.

Very nice Ben!

You should stop by the "Old Skool Meet" at El Camino Real, Starbucks in Sunnyvale! Noticed you are in the east bay :)

Keep at it!

I've actually met Ben and used to see him at some of the Southern California car shows. But I haven't seen him for at least two years and he hasn't been on this site in a little over three years.

• 2 months later...

The caps look great. I see that you mention new tires, I am researching the proper tire size for the original 1971 14 x 4.5 inch rims, as I am finally finishing an exhausting restoration, and the "d's" are going onto the original restored rims. Any input as to sizes and/or looks (many of these new tires have crazy sidewalls...), etc. is appreciated. Thanks.

No problem. At least the last post was only 90 days old. I still think we need an award. Maybe post their name in Hot Pink or something hideous.

Nothing against newbies but it always seems to be the new people that do it. Just goes to show how much information has been covered on this site. If you need info about a Z it is here and has probably been discussed at least once in the last 10 years.

I see you joined in 2004 so technically your not a newbie, just very quiet I guess.

John

I don't really see anything wrong with zombie posts, as it's not like there are thousands or hundreds of new threads to read every day. Someone bringing one of these up might provide some information or inspiration to someone who was not thinking of that subject at the time, but after the resurrection of the post, just might be now.