IGNORED

FILMS "Road test in the U.S. & CANADA Oct-Dec 1969"

kats

26th-Z

Talked to you briefly at the 2004 nationals, the guy you had kind words for who go 2nd

in stock class. Anyway, are these alternators you are discussing with Kats the grapefruit sectioned 45A early alternators, and did you have Nissan to the restore?

I have been trying to find one for some time.

Dan

HLS30-20419

Hi Kats!

I have just one solid emblem. I know of some more, but they are owned by collectors like me and you. I must tell you that my alternators are finished and I will send you pictures. They cost me $100 each to restore. WOW!

Bryan, you find this stuff by looking and knowing what you are looking for. Ebay is a great start.

Of course you are right because that's always the case. How would you know what to look for without information on the existence of things?

Hi Dan!

Yes, Im talking about the grapefruit alternator. I just had two of them rebuilt. Lets take this over to Kats' new thread.

Kats,

My solid emblem has a very faint L marking.

Bryan,

More often than not, I find out all kinds of things here and when I see things pop up on eBay or in a classified add, I know what it is. I can't tell you how many false leads I have chased down!

• 3 years later...

Alan posted this picture in an old thread of the test crew wearing cowboy hats at a dealership during the 1969 North America road test. I wondered were this was taken at, so I looked for the partial name shown (rasso) in a Datsun dealer list (although it was from 1971). It shows three Brasso Datsun dealers, two in Vancouver BC, and one in Calgary. I assume this was taken at the Calgary dealership. Anyway, I wasn't sure if Alan and Kats already knew that or not.

-Mike

post-9102-14150804066392_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike and Chris,

I did not think about place of the photo.I review this hand writing map and time schedule of the test.

They enter Canada from Vancouver, then out from Calgary as I see it.

Time schedule,sequence is below,from the top left

#1 Arrived (NMC USA) / 2nd Oct

#2 Driving practice / 3rd to 7th? Oct

#3 Organize staff and property of Test project / 7th to 8th? Oct

#4 Test cars arrived /10th Oct

#5 Maintenance of car /10th to 12th? Oct

#6 Death valley (including Bakersfield) / middle of Oct

#7 Maintenance / 15th to 20th? Oct

#8 New Orleans /20th Oct to 1st? Nov

#9 NMC staff test driving (including LA motor show) / 2nd to 10th?Nov

#10 Maintenance and repair /10th to 15th? Nov

#11 San Francisco hill climb test /16th to 20th ? Nov

#12 Visit NMC-E, Cornell labo, Detroit by air /21th to 1st ? Dec

#13 Parts replacement of steering and drive train to solve the problem

"Vibration and car shaking" /3rd to 5th? Dec

#14 Packaging and prepare for COLD weather operation / 4th to 6th ? Dec

#15 Test drive for cold weather operation Canada /7th to 20th? Dec

#16 Clean up staff , warehouse etc / 20th to 22th? Dec

#17 Back to Japan /29th? Dec

And I found one statement in this reports,it says 20th Dec a car(not mentioned single or maulti) that is equipped with replacement parts of vibration and car shaking arrived (at NMC,shipped by air) and the car was accepted by NMC even still it is remaining some minor things to be solved(regarding tire and balance) .

This car( or these cars) is the first one and pictured in the road and track issued Jan 1970?

kats

post-3193-14150804067545_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150804068041_thumb.jpg

I loved this picture. That's Osawa and Uemura in the lower left corner. Of course, Yutaka Katayama behind the car in the middle. In the upper right, behind the car, is John Parker I believe. Now, is that Johnnie Gable? I'll bet that's Johnnie Gable. I don't know who the rest are. Pic - 2 - Here is a picture of the team, I guess. Mr. Uemura is crouched down in front and it looks like the picture is being taken by Mr. Osawa. He has a camera in his hand in the other picture. What does the caption say? This picture came from "All about Fairlady", a Motor Magazine Mook, celebrating the Z's 35th anniversary.

post-4148-14150804067112_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150804068475_thumb.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z

Einer Brasso still runs and owns the Brasso Nissan dealership in Calgary, although It is no longer in its original location. I'll have to ask him if he remembers those events and pictures. I'm quite sure he will. "White hatting" special visitors is still a Calgary tradition.

This is a story worth sharing with the rest of the Calgary Z Club members. It is very special to show the connection that little old Calgary had as a part of those historic times.

If the trip 26th suggests ever happens, Calgary will do its part to support the effort!!

Jim

And I found one statement in this reports,it says 20th Dec a car(not mentioned single or maulti) that is equipped with replacement parts of vibration and car shaking arrived (at NMC,shipped by air) and the car was accepted by NMC even still it is remaining some minor things to be solved(regarding tire and balance) .

This car( or these cars) is the first one and pictured in the road and track issued Jan 1970?

kats

Hi Kats:

Perhaps... just maybe... The Test Crew arrived at NMC the 20th of Dec. to find the first car to arrive with the new parts had already been received while they were on the road test. By Dec. 20th the Jan. issue of R&T was on the news stands. Magazines usually are printed and delivered before the Issue Date.

That sentence you had a question about might read if more fully explained - - -This car is the first one "to be built with the new steering and drivetrain parts" and pictured in the road and track issue of Jan 1970.

That would make sense - it would have been HLS30 0008. It was silver and delivered to Bob Speckman (a private racer) by the Datsun Competition Department, in the fall of 1970, after Nissan was done using it for publicity etc.

It was in the L.A. Auto Show, was the cover car for R&T and was sent to the 1969 SCCA Runoffs (Nov. 26-30) as a show car.

HLS30 0008 was raced as car #14 at the 24 Hours of Daytona and was the first Z to finish the race. It finished 4th O/A. It is still being raced in Vintage Events by Dr. Bork

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150804073476_thumb.jpg